Metal Termites???

wenthur

Guest imouttahere

Wenthur, excuse me if I am missing something here, but I thought the running boards on a '24 were composed of plywood covered with gray linoleum and an aluminum edge molding.

When I needed new running boards because my old plywood had deteriorated too badly, I built them from scratch. All the materials are off-the-shelf-type stuff, except for perhaps the linoleum, which you can obtain from various sources.

If this is not what you are asking, I'm sorry.

Guest imouttahere

I'm sorry, Wenthur, and thank you, dwollam, I had forgotten that, if indeed I ever knew it! I have a late '22, made on November 22, and it has the wooden running boards. I notice that Don Butler says they changed over to the steel running boards very early in 1923, on January 2 ("Good Enough Is Not Acceptable", Part III, Cars and Parts magazine, June, 1979, page 44.)

Guest imouttahere

I live near Placerville, Mike. I hope we can get together someday to do some touring. You sound like a real, hard-core Dodge Brother.

On my 23 the running boards are made of glued up ash not plywood. They are covered with battleship linolum. They use elevator or step bolts to hold the running board to the running board brackets. The orignal edgeing is not aluminum but a zinc composition but alumium counter top edging works well. The linolum is not glued on but clamped under the edge with several tacks also holding it in place. I have pictures of the construction process if it will help. Make sure you paint the boards before you cover them to keep them from warping. Have a nice day.