Oxygen Sensor difficulty :(

Roadster90

Confirm ... Rightie tightie" and "Lefty Loosie".

Mine creaked and groaned for about 1/2 of a turn and let go and was finger loose.

I would turn another 1/8 and another 1/8 and so on and so on.

I wish you good luck, Robert

Turn in until moderate resistance is felt. Then out until it gets hard to turn again. Spray with penetrating oil. Let sit 15 minutes. Repeat from the beginning turning in and out until it loosens up. You don't need to spray every time.

IF you keep trying to twist it out by just unscrewing it with more and more pressure, it could seize up and you will have real problems.

Thanks for the replies folks... I think someone had maybe tightened the sensor to tight once before (probably me)....was very difficult to get out (used TD's procedure with the Krohl oil), and it pulled the bottom thread (on the sensor) out with it... Retorqued/tightened it "like a spark plug" and it felt fine...keeping my fingers crossed frown.gif.

Not so easy for me, sprayed with penetrating oil, I even put a wrench to extend out the ratchet handle for more leverage and could not budge it. What now, mechanic and torch? I am concerned if I put any more power behind the ratchet something is going to break. :-/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any reason why one should not put anti-sieze on the threads when reassembling? </div></div>

The new unit I installed already had anti-seize on the threads.

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do. </div></div>

Yep cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Is no reason for it to be that tight but guess some think that anything that takes that big a wrench should be torqued. </div></div>

Not being the original owner of the car nor the person who installed the previous O2 sensor, no telling how long ago the previous sensor had been installed--could have been original equipment for all I know. So even if the removed O2 had antiseize, how long antiseize remains effective is an interesting question.