coil packs

harry yarnell

Harry,

Do an archive article search. There was something on it about 8 months ago. I believe it said they were, all except the mounting needs slight modification. If you find it let me know because one is much superior to the other and I forget the particulars. I want to try it hoping it might solve my pre-detonation problem.

Tks,

Mike G

Yes and no. I think all the coil packs are interchangeable, but the modules are not. There were three types, one used two separate plugs and obviously won't take our connector.

The other looks very much like ours, but there are actually two different modules only one of which will take our connector. As Mike suggests, if you look at the posts on this subject about 3-4 months ago, someone, possibly Padgett, provided the years and vehicles with modules that will match our connectors. He also correctly points out that for some reason, a number of those found in wrecking yards have either a bad module or bad pack. In theory if you could got several, if one pack was bad, you could switch out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harry yarnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the Delco (icecube type) and the Magnavox (transformer type) coil/modules interchangeable? </div></div>

I took a the newer Delco style out of a 92 Buick LeSabre and it works A-OK.

As a sidebar to this thread, I replaced a crank sensor the other day because, well, it was bad. New, in the box Echlin CSS 100 from NAPA. Everything went textbook. Engine ran fine. For about 10 minutes, then started a slight miss. The tach started to dance. Got onto I-95, and the damn thing REALLY was kicking up a fuss; could hardly get over 35, and on 95, that'll get you killed. Quick U turn and headed home; didn't think I was going to make it. Tach is going crazy. Got it back to the garage an it died.

Next morning it fired right up and ran great. Till it got up to 160° (closed loop?). Tried another coil module/coilpack; no help.

Bottom line: the new crank sensor was bad; put in a Sorenson and it runs all day. Lesson I learned long ago; don't say 'it can't be that, I just replaced that'.

As a sidebar to this thread, I replaced a crank sensor the other day because, well, it was bad. New, in the box Echlin CSS 100 from NAPA. Everything went textbook. Engine ran fine. For about 10 minutes, then started a slight miss. The tach started to dance. Got onto I-95, and the damn thing REALLY was kicking up a fuss; could hardly get over 35, and on 95, that'll get you killed. Quick U turn and headed home; didn't think I was going to make it. Tach is going crazy. Got it back to the garage an it died.

Next morning it fired right up and ran great. Till it got up to 160° (closed loop?). Tried another coil module/coilpack; no help.

Bottom line: the new crank sensor was bad; put in a Sorenson and it runs all day. Lesson I learned long ago; don't say 'it can't be that, I just replaced that'.