Georgia Title situation

JohnD1956

Unless things have changed the last few years, Georgia does not issue titles on vehicles over 20 (maybe 25?) years old. Lamar?

Might be a red flag if someone comes up with an old car out of Georgia, with one of these new titles.

My Pontiac bud bought a 1966 Bonneville Brougham that had come from GA. He went thru a time with NCDMV because all he had was a notarized bill of sale, and the clerk at the local DMV station insisted he had to have a title and was too lazy to call HQ to find out GA title regs. He ended up calling NC and GA DMV himself and got letters from both before that hateful old woman would title and register the car.

Vehicle inspection and licensing experiences vary with the individuals involved. I had a problem just before the BCA National Meet this year trying to get my 24 Buick PU inspected & licensed in Washington State.

The inspection department is understaffed due to budget cuts & I had to wait for an appointment for several weeks to trailer my Buick to the inspection station in Vancouver, WA. The day before my appointment, I got a voice mail message that my appointment had been re-scheduled for two weeks after the BCA Meet. I could have just put a plate on the PU from one of my other cars, but if I got in an accident during the PWD Pre-Tour or AfterTour, I would be in hot soup!

I called and went through multiple voice mail boxes to finally get someone with a heartbeat. She was a DMV clerk that the inspection department "borrowed" to reschedule appointments because the local inspector was out sick.

I explained my situation and she worked hard to help me get an applintment with another inspector in Longview WA., but I had to load up my Buick and be there within an hour. I just made it, but the inspector was rather grumpy and over my objections, didn't accept the riveted nameplate on the frame, & refused to issue the paperwork I needed to license my Buick.

I drove home, researched and called the WA State Patrol which administers the inspection department and eventually talked to the lutenant in charge of the State Inspection Department. He was very cordial on the phone and agreed to research the basis for the inspector's refusal. I also sent him a link to The Old Buick Archive so he could verify his records. http://members.aol.com/buickohv/ars.htm

He called back the next day and advised me that he spoke with the inspector and I could pick up my paperwork from that inspector that day. He also added the archive to the WA State database for future reference, & asked if I would be interested in taking a pay cut to become a part time inspector for antique vehicles. I said I would be glad to contact him when I retire.

It was a bit of a hassle, but all is well that ends well; Now, I am really looking forward to retirement....

Guest GRANNYS 70 SKYLARK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42buickcrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From my experiences with the DMV,'department of motor vehicles', most are not the swiftest in the world, and definitely not willing to give you much help, and lastly, "when was the last time you saw one of them smile"? Paul </div></div>

That generalization is like saying all Buick owners are old.

Guest Tri-shield

Hello Mark,

I read your post with interest since I encounter a bill of sale for a vehicle from time to time. I was wondering why you had to have your antique Buick inspected by the WSP prior to a WA title being issued. The only time the WSP needs to be involved is if the vehicle purchased was an insurance total or sold on a personal bill of sale. A state issued bill of sale does not require WSP intervention. So, what was the case? Most states still title antique cars but some now only issue a bill of sale - and you should have a letter of fact stating they no longer issue titles for antique vehicles. I hope to hear from you, I always like to help out fellow collectors stay on top of any potentional titling issues with our fine old Buicks.