1916 DB shifting problem

vergil

I have been corresponding with a couple of Brothers regarding possible solutions to a transmission/clutch problem. Need to give them a rest.I cannot get the car into any gear with the motor running. Transmission and clutch appear to be o.k. The shaft keeps spinning and doesn't want to slow down. Also, there is a great deal of play in the gear shift lever. Is this normal or could this be part of the problem? Does anyone know of a reliable mechanic in Southern California who might be able to take a look at this? I am in South Orange County. Thanks to all.

Bill

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago on our 1918 DB touring. A club member suggested that the clutch discs were stuck together. (Oh, just now thought of the fact that '16 may have cone clutch so this wouldn't work.) Anyway, he said to spray a can or two of brake clean on the discs and work them loose. He was right. They were stuck together in varying degrees. I sprayed the discs, then carefully separated and alternated spraying and separating. After two cans, the problem went away and I could shift easily with the engine running. I too have a lot of play in the gear shift lever, but it hasn't been a problem. Not sure if the play is normal or not.

Thanks to everyone for your help in diagnosing this problem.

It seems the problem is a combination of oil and my inexperience in shifting these old cars. I have found that holding the clutch in for about a minute enables the shaft to stop spinning. I am waiting for something other than 600W (ISO 1000 UD-WBE-1000) which should eanble gears to change without grinding.

To rectify the play in the gearshift lever, take a piece of 1/16" diameter solid rubber, remove the circular nut on top of the transmission where the lever enters the transmission, cut rubber to fit, lightly grease and reinstall the circular nut.(Thanks to Roger Berchtold for all of the above).

Guest chopprjok

I have to ask the following question, and I hate to sound stupid but, I took the numbers from a previous post about transmission lubrication to a local industrial oil supply warehouse. They ran the numbers and came back and told me that the heavy weight rating of about 600 or above on the old scale (back in the 20's and 30's) equates to a modern weight of 140W.

Can anyone confirm this data?

Thanks

Jason

according to somewhere in my manual, the oil is real thick. it even gives the reciepe of how to make it. use good quality thick as you can get gear oil and a pound of heavy gear or bearing grease mix it up and then stick a long screw driver into it, if it stands upright for 30seconds before falling over it is thick enough.