Gas tank maintenence

toyz

I've bought a dozen large bottles of Gumout carburator cleaner and poured them into the tank. After a few days of sitting, I've shaken the car to move around all the bad gas and then drained the tank from the drain plug as well as the fuel line outlet. I then put in fresh gas and all seemed OK.

Harold,

I sure hope it wasn't your Underslung. (Frank wouldn't want to hear about it).

Actually, Draino drain cleaner works with hot water. I used a whole can of the crystals & hot water in a tank that was out of the car & it worked great. I see no reason it wouldn't work in the car too. After all, most of the the gunk will be at the bottom. Use a hair drier to get all the water out when done.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,the best and the cheapest stuff that i have found is called Muratic Acid,available at any hardware store for about 8.00 a gallon,you have to dilute it with water,should be instructions on the bottle,i did it 3 parts water to 1 part acid,it removes rust and varnish like you would not beleive.i think it is like a drain cleaner,and can be used to clean masonary too.it wont say anything on the bottle about cleaning gas tanks out with it.just put it in the tank and let it sit for about a day and shake it around if possible and you will see the crap start to dissolve,you should put a sealer in the tank after it is dry.you can rinse with water to get it really clean. thanks Harvey