2007 Glidden Tour Ford V8's Do Well

Paul Dobbin

A great showing of Flathead V8 power was evident on the 2007 AAA Glidden Tour. This was a hub tour beginning each day in Gettysburg, PA. and touring southern PA and norther MD.

Of the 283 cars and trucks 1909-1942, 150 were Fords! There were 5 Model T's, 115 Model A's and 30 Early Ford V8's.

We had a every year early V8 from 1932 Roadster to a 1941 Panel Delivery. We had every body style covered too, but over the 10 years of eligible V8 years. (the tour cut off at 1942)

As far as I know all of us finished the 6 days of touring without major problems with the Early V8's. We did hear that some tow vehicles broke down so the participants came in the V8's. Some even drove to the tour and home again in the V8's.

Of course we learned a lot of history in Gettysburg and spent a day touring the Battlefieds and Eisenhowers farm. We also drove the the AACA Museum in Hershey PA, visited York, Hannover and some Amish country. We saw sveralfine private collections, a restoration shop, a carriage museum and ate at every stop. The Glidden Tour is often described "as a short drive on coountry roads between places to eat."

This year was no excetion.

We tried twice to get a picture of all the esrly V8's, but got rain on the first try and only 17 cars, the second try we got 15 cars but not all the same ones, we'll send it ot the Early Ford V8 Times.

We drove our 34 Fordor over 600 miles in the week we were in Gettysburg. We used it for general transportation, sight seeing, shopping, going out to eat, and socializing. Passengers were happy about my dual wipers on the rainy day and after the closing banquet.

We all had fun and enjoyed meeting some of you Formum people that we knew only from this forum. We also enjoyed seeing other V8er's that tour every year.

Next year it's LaCrosse, Wisconsin for the "Great River Roendevous" on the Mississippi for the 63 Revival Glidden Tour.

Will we see you there?

After the Glidden, we trailer to North Carolina we are still using the 34 as daily transportation while living in our motorhome. Now our mileage is over 1200. Soon we'll have to return to Florida and give the 34 a bath and an oil tranfusion and a pat on the back for being such a fine car.

Here in NC the local boys ask if it's Jaguar because of the Greyhound on the hood. I usually reply if there is a group of them, "Don't go hunting with that guy, he can't tell a dog from a cat, that's a Greyhound".

That's about all for now.

Paul Dobbin

1934 Ford Fordor V8 (with fender skirts a duals, 100% stock)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as I know all of us finished the 6 days of touring without major problems with the Early V8's. </div></div>

Ahem...

Ironically, Radford's tour number was "13." Also from North Carolina... Kitty Hawk to be exact.

At least it's a Ford V8 roll-back rather than a GM, or that could have been embarassing.

post-33613-143137949991_thumb.jpg

Great writeup Paul!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here in NC the local boys ask if it's Jaguar because of the Greyhound on the hood. I usually reply if there is a group of them, "Don't go hunting with that guy, he can't tell a dog from a cat, that's a Greyhound".

</div></div>

Your humor is cool too. Let's hope the "editor" took plenty of pictures for our Philly Picture Rerun this year. whistle.gifsmile.gif

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's hope the "editor" took plenty of pictures for our Philly Picture Rerun this year. whistle.gifsmile.gif

Wayne </div></div>

300! Including the 1932 V8 roadster above.

The photo below is my car (from Minnesota) with the 1st Minnesota Infantry monument at Gettysburg in the background.

"When Maj. Gen. Winfield S. Hancock, commander of the Union Second Corp, rode up to assess [sickles botched meneauver], only one regiment was at hand to stop the Confederate tide – the 1st Minnesota ... with leveled bayonets, the Minnesotans crashed into Brig. Gen. Cadmus M. Wilcox's Alabamians who outnumbered them 4-to-1."

"The charge successfully accomplished its object. <span style="font-weight: bold">It saved the position and probably the battlefield. </span>The loss of the eight companies in the charge was 215 killed and wounded (more than 83 percent), 47 men were still in line AND NO MAN MISSING. In self-sacrificing desperate valor, THIS CHARGE HAS NO PARALLEL IN ANY WAR. The next day, the remaining men participated in repelling Picketts Charge, losing 17 more men."

For many, many years, it was believed that my great-great grandfather Erickson had fought here with the 1st Minnesota. It wasn't until recent research that we found out he was fighting for control of the Mississippi River at the time. He signed up in 1861 (at age 16) and survived the whole war, marching with Sherman on his way to Savannah.

post-33613-143137949994_thumb.jpg

West,

Sorry, like Robert E Lee, I retreated to the South after Gettysburg not knowing home many casualties we really suffered. Often the real numbers don't surface until long after the smoke clears. (meaning the Buick's leave)

Thanks for the update.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Often the real numbers don't surface until long after the smoke clears. (meaning the Buick's leave)

Paul </div></div>

LOL. Actually, if anyone was following me downhill, they got a good dose of smoke. Rick was only kidding about his car belching smoke. I had the pleasure of following him all morning on one of the days, and I didn't see any such evidence.

post-33613-143137950083_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

If you like old bridge pictures, this one in northern Maryland should do. We were so far out that stopping on the bridge for a picture didn't slow anyone down. We wondered where the other Gliddenites where and found them all at the donut stop.