cleaning original 1940 plastic

Guest edalfa

Guest edalfa

My 40 Special is mostly original. I've only replaced the things that were typical maintainence items and those things that were unusable (and unrepairable). The dash plastic that was solid is still on the car. I've only replaced the ashtray on the right and the heat/def/inst trio on the left. The rest, especially the lighter and the ignition surround, are soiled and I want to clean them. Any recommendations? I don't want to treat them like modern pieces only to have them disolve from the cleaning agent.

Ed

I have used Autosol metal polish with great results.

Comes in a tube like toothpaste and is similar to apply but has more abrasion (not too much) so will clean up plastic fittings very well. Used it on a 48 horn button with a plastic insert recently and it came up like new.

I have used it on many different plastic fittings on early buicks and always had great results.

And of course it good for the chrome as well.

You can see it at this link

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/produ...m_mmc=undefined

Guest imported_arbys

I've used Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish which can be purchased at your auto supply house $4-5. It also works great on modern dash speedo lenses, power tool guards and should work good on your dash pieces.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

You could also give Meguiar's PlastX a try. I doubt that it would truly be a problem for older pieces, but they are pretty good about knowing their products and would be glad to answer any questions you may have.