Does anyone like stripes?

Ronnie

I'm kicking around the idea of striping my Reatta. Give me you opinions about a Reatta with stripes. Should they be a different color? Maybe black, silver or gold? Stripes would be on hood and trunk. Then I'm planning to add a rear spoiler similar to the '98 Mustang.

post-52331-143137945376_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143137945378_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143137945381_thumb.jpg

Not for me, but I think they are too wide, maybe a different color, don't like the <span style="font-weight: bold">big</span> white stripe with the black body moldings. Just my 2 cents~Tammy

Guest TommyH

You guys know how newer mustangs say 'mustang' in the back bumper? I was goin to band camp one dya, there was one in front of me, i saw that, and thought, hey, t awould be friggin' sweet! So, how hard do you guys think it would be to make it say 'Reatta' on the bumpre?

Nice stripes, TDman!

I've been tempted to do a similar stripe style for the '88 coupe in custom process. Black car, T-Tops, spoiler, and of course Skunk Stripes. This one's still on the "Back burner" for now, gotta get "Bambi-Killer" back on the road first, and then roll "BlakTop Trickster" out of the shop to make room.

In the end, if YOU like them, that's all that matters!

Most folks think my addition of horns to Black Beauty is rediculous, as do I, but I like them, and they draw attention from those who have never seen a Reatta, or know that such a Buick exists, let alone a convertible.

NOW, I'm tempted to make a set of Skunk Stripes from removable vinyl for Beauty, (as yours look so SHARP!), but cannot paint them onto such a rare car.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: manikmekanik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOW, I'm tempted to make a set of Skunk Stripes from removable vinyl for Beauty, (as yours look so SHARP!), but cannot paint them onto such a rare car. </div></div>

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! cool.gif

I agree. Those stripes are so wide and so so short the immediate thought that came to me was "chiclets". They look like chiclets sitting on the car. I know that sounded harsh, but I had stipes on 2 of my prvious cars, '66 Mustang and a '72 el Camino. I am not against stripes, just maybe something a little different.

I agree with everyone else. I have not got the strips to look the way that I wanted. I wanted the stripes to give the Reatta the same look that a '69 Z28 has. But what I can do with a roll of news print paper and a computer graphics program is very limited.

I'm going to try to contact a company that makes professionally designed kits to see if they will design a stripe kit for the Reatta. They may not be interested in investing the time since the production numbers for Reattas was so low. Based on what has been written here about the stripes, they would probably by wasting their time....

I love the idea of the stripes. In fact I have been thinking of striping at least one of the two 90's that I have since both of them need to be repainted. My question for anyone to answer is whether or not you think this would hurt, enhance, or have a negative impact on the collectible value of the car. I love to watch all those muscle cars on TV being renovated and I would like to do something radical in the design on at least one of my Reattas, but I'm a little worried about hurting the overall value of the car. Any ideas?

Cars are only original once. Once you start modifying a car it's value will be in the hands of the people buying or selling it. That's not necessarily a bad thing. A purist who wants a bone stock Reatta won't bother with one that has a modified paint scheme. A hobbyist who wants something different may pay more for one with quality mods. We have several regulars who have done some high quality mods. Are their cars worth less than the stock ones?

Also as a follow up to that question, I have two 90 reattas, and am trying to decide to what level of restoration I want to go. I am not capable of doing a lot of the work myself (lack of time and skill) although I would like to do some of the interior stuff. Are there any good restoration guys around south florida that might want to take one or both of these cars and bring them back to some degree of their former glory? I just need some guidance from some qualified Reatta owners on how far to go. Mechanically both cars are in pretty good running condition. They each have minor issues here and there. My real issue is with the paint and interior...bringing the cars back to acceptable level, etc...Many thnks to anyone who can help...