1923 6cyl Wheel Bearings

Guest Australian 1923

Guest Australian 1923

Can anyone help I am in desperate need of a full set of front wheel bearings either NOS or modern replacements. I have a really bad feeling that the front bearings in the car are wrong as I am getting violent wheel wobble. My usual supplier in North Carolina has just sold his last set. Does anyone know the name of the original manufacturer and the original bearing numbers? This might help trying to trace modern replacements. Does anyone have a used set that I could borrow to check mine? Any information would be much appreciated.

Hi David.Front wheel bearing inner cone 6.314 909508 outer cone 6.315 909507 1922-1923-1924 6cyl. 1925-1926 Mstr.6 1927-1928 Ser.120-128 are the same.

Maybe this can help you to find a bearing for your 1923.

I could`t find anything else about bearings in my book.

Leif in Sweden.

• 1 month later...

David,

I have 2 23 front wheels that are in poor shape, but they both have a full set of brgs. in each.

I also have a complete 23 water pump, ( on a 23-55 parts engine).

How many wheel wedges do you need? One of the rear end units has wheels with the remains of rims,some of the wedges have the word Jaxon, but I have not checked out the rest, I also have a few extra wedges for my 22-55.

John Beatty

john@galapanet.com

22-55 Sport Touring

Guest Australian 1923

Hi John

I have been promised five wedges so I guess five or six more should do the trick. I would be very interested in acquiring the water pump and at least one set of front wheel bearings and I am still looking for on 3 inch cowl light.

Perhaps you could email me your phone number as I will be in the US from 5th October and will be going to Hershey. I fly into Newark and will have a rental car so if you are not going to Hershey I could drive up to Sherborn. Or better still I have a cousin who works about ten miles away from you who I am sure can be persuaded to collect them

regards

David

Quote from; rlbleeker

My 1916 has standard tapered roller bearings in the front. Should be a fairly simple conversion I'd think. Is that frowned upon?

Any old timer should remember the tapered roller used by Fomoco and Chrysler who had very little trouble with wheel bearing since they were tapered rollers and not ball bearing as were the old New Departures on GM products. Hyatt was/is a division of GM and were purchased by GM because of their ability to make tapered roller bearing which when properly installed are far superior to ball bearing for thrust purposes. Just what year it was that GM changed to tapered roller I don’t remember but was, I am sure, due to the superior properties of the roller bearing for thrust. Ball bearing for wheel bearing are just so much junk compared to properly installed tapered roller bearings!

I would very much appreciate comments about this as my 81 year old memory is not the greatest!!!

Similiar question@

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showthreaded/Number/446682#Post446682

M.L. Anderson