In Memory of John N Packard

R W Burgess

In thumbing though my AACA Magazine today, I noticed the Chesapeake Region's Plaque dedication in memory of John Packard. Thinking back about John, I remember receiving the first newsletter published by John at that time, after I took over the newsletter duties from Earl D. Beauchamp. John's "Glove Box" monthly message was fitting, as John had a fine name that carried special feelings for anyone that ever owned a Packard, or for anyone that ever met John.

Reserved was an understatement for John. He was a thoughtful, intelligent, person who spent more time listening than speaking, wish I could say the same about myself.

I was proud to be in Philly the year that John won the "Ann S Eady Award" as I had read his many newsletters and certainly knew that his region deserved the award.

On congratulating John that night, I'll never forget his statement to me;

"Wayne, your day will come!"

To me the message John was protraying, was that if you work hard enough, nothing is impossible.

Thanks John for the memories and the Chesapeake Region for reviving them.

Wayne

Guest imported_Bookreader

John Packard was a wonderful AACA Library and Research Center Board member and a past president of this board. All of us on this board treasured John as a gentleman and a dedicated person for our board.

When any of you are in Hershey, stop into the Library and see the lovely plaque his Region presented to the Library in his honor.

Thank you for this post, Wayne.

Must echo the comments about John. One great gentleman.

What I most admired about John was his reserve and willingness to simply listen intently in discussion. His eyes always had a sincere smile.

Had one of our patternmakers recreate a commutator housing out of broken pieces for John some years ago. (John dropped the original on his shop floor and it shattered. He was devastated.) Delivered it to his home one day. Will treasure the tour of his garages, vehicles, and, projects for the duration of my existence on this earth.

Peter.

John was a great friend and fellow Chesapeake Region member. His dedication to AACA, the region and particularly the Library & Research Center is exemplary. I was proud to serve with him briefly on the LIbrary board. He left us too soon.

Terry

Guest BruceW

John and I became friends years ago as John also lived in Harford County; and Chesapeake Region and Harford Region are neighbors. John was a friend of Harford Region and Harford Region members very much liked and respected him.

John and I both served as President of our respective regions at the same time, as well as being newsletter editors and webmasters. We corresponded and talked a lot, bouncing ideas back and forth while working for our regions. I always admired how he could always be so calm, soft spoken, but always attentive, a great listener, and so intelligent and logical when he spoke.

Unfortunately, John's passing was just before I was elected to the Board of the AACA Library & Research Center. He was most highly respected among the board for his dedication and hard work and I would have liked very much to have worked with him.

I had the honor to be asked by West to prepare the write-up about John for Antique Automobile following John's passing. A lot of thought and memories went into that write-up and I have always hoped that it was good enough to portray John as the sensitive, caring, energetic, and wonderful person that he was. With all his work for his region, AACA and the Library, it would seem that John would have little time for anything else but he was a diverse man with many capabilities and interests as well as a dedicated family man.

I was at the AACA Headquarters to help move the 1935 Ford Phaeton into the Library prior the day that Chesapeake Region stopped at the Library and presented the plaque in John's memory. It was great to see so many people there (many more than appears in the cropped photo ahown in Antique Automobile) to pay respect for such a great person.

John is missed by many and will always remembered as a friend and overall great person.

Those of us who were active in Chesapeake Region for many years all knew what a gentleman John Packard was, how dedicated to the club and the hobby he was, and and how smart and studious he was. During one of my earliest years on the AACA Board I was assigned to the Nominating Committee for the Library Board. Due to a problem that came upon the Chairman of the Committee, I was somehow placed in the Chairmanship position, despite the fact I was so new to the National Board. The first person I thought of was John Packard. To me he was a man who would be specially suited to the Library Board, and I was right, as not only was he elected, but he became President of the Library. With his dark hair and youthful looks, I was astounded to find he was a couple years older than I am during a relaxed conversation at the 50th Anniversary Picnic of Chesapeake Region. I can honestly say I never met a finer man than John Packard, and it was an honor to know him. Earl Beauchamp, Jr.