Spark Plug Wires-Copper vs graphite

pint4

I am replacing the spark plug wires on my 33 Buick. I beleive it came with copper spark plug wires. Does it make a difference if I replace them with newer ones made out of graphite or some similar modern material. Pros and cons are?

Thanks.

Bob

Graphite came out for noise suppression, so your super- whammy '33 Buick stereo won't sound as good..!

Graphite tends to need more careful handling as it ages. Graphite is literally a tube of graphite running through the middle of the wire, so it will break down more easily than a solid wire. It will work fine and last for years, just treat it nicely..!

Thanks for the info. The question came up because a friend of mine, who is restoring a Ford Model T, told me he had to use copper spark plug wires because his car would not run good if they weren't copper. Since I am replacing the wires in my Buick, it made me wonder if I needed copper spark plug wires also. Don't want to have to replace new ones because I didn't buy the right ones in the first place. There must be others that have had some experience with this problem out there.

Thanks.

Bob

Graphite wires came out after car makers switched to 12 volts. Your original ignition was 6 volts.

I would use the original copper core wires. If it turns out this causes radio and TV interference try using the graphite core wire for the coil wire only. This will give you the radio suppression without overtaxing your ignition.

What's on there now?

I have used graphite wires on my Pontiac (daily driver) since they were first available in the 60's. I have never had any problems (in 370,000 plus miles) other than learning to be a little more gentle with them. I have always changed my high tension wires about every five years (approx 50,000 miles) wether they need it or not.

For all my restorations I have purchased complete wire kits from Bobs Automobilia. They come cut to length with fittings and are made from original type material ( copper ) and either yellow or black outer covering. They work as they should, look great and are relatively inexpensive.