Best vehicle of all time?

Reatta_Cruzin

I've been kinda partial to the early fake wood panelled AMC pacer wagons myself, with big chrome bumper hitches and 60 series tires with cheap chrome slots out back. Best optioned out with dingle balls and those stick on slanted gold letters you buy at the hardware store that spell "Golden red dreamer angel baby" on the dash. That's cruisin in style--Ohhh yea!!! <P>Ferrari's are nice too. grin.gif" border="0

You are not going to sucker me into this discussion because I can't decide on just one. I liked the styling of the 1949 Chrysler Town & Country convertible but thought the wood was too "pre-war" so had that all removed and replace with metal. I also thought the '55-'57 T bird was slick but it only holds two passangers, had mine stretched into a 4-door, beating Ford to the punch by several years. Finally the '63 Corvette "split window" what a stupid idea on a brand new body style, it took some doing but we removed that back window and divider and replaced it with plexiglass.... what an improvement.<BR>There are others but I think you can see where I am going.

Guest Buick Mike

I knew a guy that, when the subject of cars came up, would always announce that he had the best car in the world. When asked the inevitable question... what kind is it?... his reply - company car.<P>Mike

Wow , Ide Swede what's your car worth today?<BR>I rememeber living in Germany in the mid-eighties and a friend's brother-in-law was selling a Mercedes 600 saloon. I don't recall the year, but it was at least 10 years old probably more. The car was in excellent condition and when he cranked the motor and then placed no stood a nickel on the hood.....boy;that was some car. It was build like a tank. They don't make Mercedes like that anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

So many cars, so little space. Best is hard to define. Best in terms of design? Dependabilty? The cars of today are so much better than the ones from yesteryear. Today's automobiles are safer, get much better gas mileage, and last much longer. But, the cars of today lack something. No matter what they cost, they all sort of look the same. Same basic design, dash elements ect. The products of Chrysler do have a certain look that set them apart to some degree. My choices? 1953 Studebaker Starlight Coupe, truly a lovely car. Another Studebaker on the list would be the Avanti. That's a car that was developed almost 40 years ago, but still looks pretty fresh. 1956-7 Continental Mark II (I have one). 1955-6-7 Ford Thunderbird. 1961 Lincoln Continental. Any Duesenberg. What list would be complete without the 57 Chevrolet Bel Aire. For Buick fans, the1963-4-5 Buick Riveria, a great looking car! Lets throw in our Reattas too. I could go on all night. I'm sure we all have our favorites, yes some may even like the lowly Yugo and the rolling "fish bowl" AMC Pacer. The world would be pretty dull if we all liked the same things. Howard

Two choices here: '67 chevyII(nova) 350 sb chevy, no a/c,pb,power nothing. KISS theory. Or, 2000'ish buick Regal GS(supercharged) or Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Power, style, economy, comfort, features, and overall simplicity(by today's standards). Even comes standard with longevity. The BMW M3 sounds hot, too, but haven't driven one yet.<P> P.S., Barney, oh my God, I can't you disgraced a split window 'vette like that. For shame, shame.How do you sleep at night?<p>[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: bigrog ]

First year for 4wdb on a Vette was '65 (also the last year for the FI). Of course those were the four piston ones that require stainless steel sleeves to work rite.<P>Tripower 435 hp was actually the result of marketting, real beast was the single holly L-88 version (430 hp). Somewhat underrated like the Camaro of the same year - 350 with weak bottom end (fixed for '68) was 295 hp and 302 was 290. Suspect reason was that they did not want anyone who did not know what it was to buy one.<P>Personally, would prefer either a '57 or a '62 'vette. Neither is a real racer but they look right.<P>Am really starting to miss an open two seater but don't think it will be a Reatta. Anyone ever convert a Fiero to a Targa ?<P>BTW had a split window with monstrous drum brakes & little fans in them (backing plate was screened). FI car I opened up to a tad over 900 cfm. Got protested a lot in SCCA & was banned by the Firebirds (GMI). Proved a poor airplane at Grattan.<p>[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: padgett ]

Padgett,<BR>I stand corrected '65 it is.I have had a couple L88 engines in the past.I used to like the small block chevies 283,327,302,350's but the 427/L88 and the 396/375 big blocks made a believer out of me.<BR>I still like the look of the fastback vette though.<BR>ronvb wink.gif" border="0