ENGINE MOUNT

Guest REATTANEOPHYTE

Guest REATTANEOPHYTE

I have been told that the engine mount on the top left of engine needs replacing a/c it's worn out. This was from a shop which, in the past, hosed me, and say they have changed. There seems to be a little play in it, but the elastomer in the bracket appears to be in good condition. What is the amount of play allowed? Is it permissible to take up slack with the bolts?

Re the new forum, it would help if I knew what all the symbols were, and how to use the search engine. Maybe a short synopsis of the system, detailing how to use it, from the writer(s), would

enlighten the wonderers. Explanations of all the features and benefits would certainly make using this wonderful source much more enjoyable.

I was just reminded...I need a dogbone mount...is it a dealer item or which is the best source please...I have never actually needed/bought one for anything I have owned confused.gif

Update:

Advance can't get...

Both Peppie Girls and the Zone have in stock at just < $22.00.

Guest Kitskaboodle

I've been told (by my mechanic) that dogbones should have very little play.

If they do the engine will "rock" and put undo strain on the motor and tranny mount

and will likely cause the seperation/tearing away of the rubber from the metal plates.

This is especially true in a Fiero V6!!! Dont ask me how I know this.. frown.gif

Anyways, dogbones are cheap, eh? Heck, when I bought my 90 coupe the first thing

I did was replace mine with an Anchor brand dogbone. (was only around $15-18 bucks

at Autozone) If you suspect it and can wiggle it back and forth a little bit or the

hole where the bolts go through are a little oversize, replace it.

Kit / 90 Coupe / 86 Fiero GT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nic walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I am goning over to pick one up today, I believe the engine should be jacked up/or supported with a jack...is there a certain area to place the jack tongue/support or any tricks please? </div></div>

I just replaced my dogbone. It requires no jacking or support. The main engine and transmission mounts support the engine. The dogbone just keeps the engine from rocking back and forth.

Remove the two bolts going through the dogbone and remove the dogbone from the bracket. You might possibly need a large screwdriver to pry it out if it is tight. Installing it is just the reverse of removing it. Use a large screwdriver to line up the holes for the bolts. Thats it!

Guest DTerry

Advance:

$15.99

Part No. 2662

Anchor Mount Torque Strut: Coupe; Front

Warranty: 1 Year Limited Warranty

$15.99

Guest REATTANEOPHYTE

FYI just relaced the subject strut with litle effort and no problems, and now have a tight, no play, dogbone. Thanks to all for your expert and helpful comments and suggestions, appreciate using your knowledge.