Rendezvous' - NTK Good bad and ugly

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I am considering a used Rendevous to replace Rita's Volvo XCountry which blew an engine a couple of weeks ago. Looking at low mileage around 30-40,000 miles. Can anyone offer help as to what to look for in these. Are any years/models better than others. Any things to stay away from. What's been your good and bad experiences. I need to have done my homework on this before seriously suggesting it to her as she is looking at Toyota 4 runners right now.

Lat year there was a good discussion of the reliability of the Rendezvous on the forum ( Whats up with the 2002 Rendezvous? Consumer Reports rating? ). There were the typical responses praising anything with a GM badge, and those which had a more balanced point of view. The gist is that the Rendezvous follows the typical GM pattern of the past 30 years, with problematic reliability (read BAD) at the introducton followed by gradual improvement. The 2002 model is best avoided, regardless of mileage. Later models were never in the same category as the LeSabre or Regal, but they eventually achieved decent/average reliablility.

The 4Runner has consistently been the most reliable SUV since it's introduction almost 20 years ago. Where the Rendezvous will have it all over the 4Runner is gas mileage, which only a fool would call an insignificant consideration these days. None of the vehicles competitive in this class will win any awards in this category, but the more mini-van like Rendezvous is <span style="font-style: italic">vastly</span> superior to a pure SUV like the 4Runner or Explorer.

One other consideration is the effect the reputation for reliablility has effected Toyota resale values. Any really good used 4Runner will cost <span style="text-decoration: underline">much</span> more than an equal condition Rendezvous. There's little doubt that the Rendezvous would be the more cost-effective purchase both in initial cost and fuel cost.

Other, more Rendezvous-like, crossovers/SUVs too look for would include the Honda Pilot, Subaru Forester, Toyota Highlander, and (of course) the Rendezvous's companion line--the Pontiac Aztec. The best advice anyone can give is to read as many information sources as possible to determine what fits your needs, and avoid buying more vehicle than you need because running/maintenance/fuel costs will <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">not</span></span> be any cheaper down the road when you're still driving this car. Buy for what the conditions will be when you get rid of the car years from now, not just what you can live with right now.

Guest imported_Thriller

Why not just get her an Enclave? grin.gifwink.gif

I have no direct experience, but the folks I've talked to who have / had one really liked the Rendezvous.

Guest my3buicks

I agree with what Dave had to say for the most part- I have had 2 Rendezvous now, my first was an early 2002 and I ran it to 120K miles, but did have some usual problems that existed with the 2002's - I now have a 2004 which I have accumulated 55K miles on now and it has been 100% trouble free thus far. The only thing that has been done to it other than oil changes is brakes last inpection and tires. My gas mileage is a consistant 20mpg, with trips up to as high as 24mpg. Unlike many other SUVs, you get a smoother ride, more car like. You also get a cavernous rear cargo area due to the mini-van roots. I would stay with a 2004 or newer if you can. If you are doing any towing, they tow nicely, I have pulled my boat, utility trailer, and most recently my camper. If you do much winter driving the AWD is a must and is very capable at pulling you thru the worst that winter throws at you. You also have some nice seating choices/arrangements that other SUV's in that catagory don't offer. They have served me well, and I have enjoyed owning them.

post-30591-14313793787_thumb.jpg

Just bought a used '05 with 27,000 miles on it a couple weeks ago to replace the 99 Riviera. Can't comment on it as far as dependability is concerned, but so far I have been impressed with it. Rides well. Nice and quiet. Wife really likes it. Took the 3rd row seat out of it since we will probably never use it and with the second row seats flipped up, has lots of room for hauling the dog and other essentials.

We have a 2005 with the 3.6 engine and it fits our needs perfectly. Our Rendezvous has been to the Batavia, & Rochester nationals, three trips to California, and now has 40,000. I am not impressed with the 3.6 engine but it is ok except the best gas mileage we have seen is 24 mpg.

I have often wondered how the Rendezvous would preform with the 3.8 engine.

The Goodyear tires look like new (I had hoped they would wear out so I could replace them with something more exotic)

I have a noise in the A/C compressor but it keeps pumping out cold air. With Buick discontinuing the Rendezvous, used ones may be a bargin.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Thanks guys for your opinions. I did my homework, checked one out at the local dealer for size and comfort (which actually accomodated my 6-2 255 lb frame rather comfortably), made sure I trully liked and wanted one, found a super nice, one owner, low mileage 2003, here on craigs list presented it to Rita and after she asked to see it on CR was given a reponse of "No way". Oh well, guess it's a good thing they don't rate 54's. frown.gif

Thanks again for everyones thoughts and time and at least give me credit for trying.

Oh and Bob, you were a lot of help. grin.gif

I forgot to mention they are not that great looking on the outside, but much prettier than their ugly cousin the Aztec. Once you get in and shut the door, you cannot see the outside.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Eaton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I forgot to mention they are not that great looking on the outside, but much prettier than their ugly cousin the Aztec. Once you get in and shut the door, you cannot see the outside. </div></div>.

I have to agree with Barney on this one, not the most impressive looking vehicle out there.But also like he said once your in it you cant see it.My wifes 04 Malibu Maxx suffers from the same problem. But with the 3400 V6 its also a rocket ship and is fast enough that you cant see how ugly it is. Maybe you should see how fast you can get the Rendezvous to go smile.gif

Dan

I never thought that the Rendezvous was that bad either. Given what it is, a utilitarian vehicle with ostentatious overtones, I'd say it's about mid-pack in an indistinguished field. That may not be strong praise, but one must admit that it's hardly a clock-stopper like the Aztek and the Tribecca were.

That said, I think a lot of us are showing our age when we rank appearance so high in priority when buying a car. That's very "old-school" today. While it's nice to have a good-looking car, a cool one that meets our needs economically is more important. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Nobody</span> bought a Scion xB because it was beautiful, yet it's the hottest car extant among young buyers. When we were their age we were swooning over Camaros and Chargers, not iPod connections and hoseable interiors.

We don't buy cars today with 24 month loans and dump them with 40k miles like we did in the 1960s. We (on average) keep a new car 6 or 7 years and well over 100k miles. That's a long time to live with a pretty loser, so most people rank more practical aspects higher today. If a Rendezvous meets your needs better than a beautiful gas-hog, it's a pretty foolish decision to go with beauty.

Cars are like women. There are the kind you lust after, and the kind you marry. Very few of us are ever able to combine both into one choice, ever.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cars are like women. There are the kind you lust after, and the kind you marry. Very few of us are ever able to combine both into one choice, ever. </div></div>

I guess I got lucky in that regards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cars are like women. There are the kind you lust after, and the kind you marry. Very few of us are ever able to combine both into one choice, ever. </div></div>

I guess I got lucky in that regards </div></div>

Good answer. Show to Rita and ask again about the Rendezous. wink.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Brink</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cars are like women. There are the kind you lust after, and the kind you marry. Very few of us are ever able to combine both into one choice, ever. </div></div>

I guess I got lucky in that regards </div></div>

Good answer. Show to Rita and ask again about the Rendezous. wink.gif </div></div>

I did...didn't work... smirk.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Brink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah well, women. What are you going to do, Lamar? Can't live with them, can't live without them...</div></div>

Sorry guy's, I meant to have reported back sooner. Rita's new car is a Nissan Pathfinder. What can I say...

reaffirmed one thing though...

A woman has the last word in any argument.....Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.