making transmission gears

bigguy

I have a 1916 Jackson automobile that needs new gears for the tranny. does anyone out there know of a shop that can cut the gears? everyone i talked with says they dont have the tooling to make new gears. thanks for any suggestions, rich

Biguy:

I have not bought any gears myself, but I did look at the web for machine shops that claim to be able to make them. Here is a list.

Custom Gear Manufacturers

I am sure that manufacturing a gear is not going to be cheap, especially in limited quantities. There are special tools, heat treatment and alloys needed for a gear with the durability needed for an automobile transmission. I would think an individual gear might cost $1000 to $2000 . But you need to ask them for real quotes, using your worn gears to copy. Your Jackson probably has simple spur gears, they are relatively easy to produce.

Good luck, saw a Jackson touring car on a VMCCA tour back in '99, perhaps it was yours. Lovely car. Very few of them around now...

• 3 years later...

Hi- I have a friend restoring an early car, he has had excellent quality results from Rempco in Cadillac, Michigan. I remember seeing a booth of theirs at a car show in California, so they are familiar with old cars. I need a pinion gear for a 1910 Hupmobile myself, and am going to try them (unless someone that sees this has parts on a shelf!). Good luck

• 1 month later...

Jerry Chase of Connecticut advertises in the Horesless Carriage Gazette. He owns and operates one of the premier gear manufacturing facilities on the east coast. DIVERCO MFG. Buffalo N.Y...... made me a ring and pinion for a 1915 Chevrolet Royal Mail that I restored a number of years ago. I put some good milage on that car, and the rear performed well. And, I'm sure the shops mentioned above by the others, also perform exemplary work.

regards, and good luck; jerry janson

• 2 months later...