Engine and VIN number question

Valtalma

Hello, I am pleased to introduced myself to this forum.

I have browsed numerous forums and I found this one the friendliest and most informative.

I am a French guy living in the San Francisco Bay Area and I have been interested in a Riviera for a long time.

I am in the process of buying a 68 Riviera GS and I have taken a number of pictures of relevant numbers.

I have been able to identify that the VIN plate matches exactly the car’s year, model, color and interior. (See photo).

Is there a way to verify that the engine is the original one and has not been swapped ?

P_20181101_163125.thumb.jpg.d9c3a83fe838330963a484b302fa64ae.jpg

IMG_0278.JPG

The last 8 characters of the VIN is stamped on the engine block on the left (driver) side between the front and second exhaust manifold ports.

Below is my engine block with VIN# stamp (8H941116 The "8" looks like a "3" but it isn't).

20170604_141621.thumb.jpg.dcffbd337c40be9d1d10f37f22c170b2.jpg

Next to the dip stick will be the code stamp for the specific engine. My engine code stamp (PD= 1968 Buick 430)

20170604_141553.thumb.jpg.45d6d1d23d9fb03cbef2a37ca41445fa.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Here are illustrations of what Mike has pictured above.

id_400_430_1967.jpg - 17722 Bytes

400 and 430 inch, 1967
The engine production code number is between the two forward branches

of the right exhaust manifold and the engine serial number is between the

two rear branches and should match the VIN plate.

id_400_430_1968.jpg - 17433 Bytes

400, 430, 455 inch, 1968-72
The production code number is between the two front plugs and

the exhaust manifold, on the left side. The engine serial number is

just below the deck on the left side (driver's).

455 inch, 1973 on

The production code number is between the

two front plugs and the exhaust manifold on the left side.

id_455_ser_1973.png

The engine serial number is just below the deck on the left side (driver's). 

The above images and verbage were copied and pasted from Team Buick's website.

Ed

Note: This illustration shows the serial number on the front of the passenger's side  ????? Anyone ????

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Here are links that show the production codes for all Buick engines 1963 through 1975

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_63-75.php

This link is for the years 1976 - 1982

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_76-82.php

Taken from the same source as my post above

If you're not registered with TeamBuick, do it.  Tons of information that we rarely cover but it's there if you need it.

Ed

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, RivNut said:

Here are illustrations of what Mike has pictured above.

id_400_430_1967.jpg - 17722 Bytes

400 and 430 inch, 1967
The engine production code number is between the two forward branches

of the right exhaust manifold and the engine serial number is between the

two rear branches and should match the VIN plate.

400, 430, 455 inch, 1968-72
The production code number is between the two front plugs and

the exhaust manifold, on the left side. The engine serial number is

just below the deck on the left side (driver's).

455 inch, 1973 on

The production code number is between the

two front plugs and the exhaust manifold on the left side.

id_455_ser_1973.png

The engine serial number is just below the deck on the left side (driver's). 

The above images and verbage were copied and pasted from Team Buick's website.

Ed

Note: This illustration shows the serial number on the front of the passenger's side  ????? Anyone ????

I wasn’t going to comment here since the question was about a ’68 and I figured someone, like Mike, with a ’68 would be able to answer Valtalma’s question best.

However, since you asked Ed, and just to let you know, a good bit of the info you posted above is incorrect. I understand you were just posting info you found, but it doesn’t help if the info is wrong.

Their statements below both of the first two pictures, actually the first three, is incorrect, they say “production code” between the “forward branches”, and it is actually between the rear branches. And, the second picture says 1968-72, and that is wrong. In late ’71 the VIN location changed, and in ’72 it changed again.

I can’t say when the changes were made, but for ’71 the VIN is stamped on the front of the block, below the head, behind the P/S pump bracket. Then for ’72 it is where it is shown in your last picture, beside the water pump on the passenger side. They say 1973 and up, but that is where it is on my ’72.

Just thought I would let you know Ed, since you seemed to be wondering.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

24 minutes ago, Rivman said:

I wasn’t going to comment here since the question was about a ’68 and I figured someone, like Mike, with a ’68 would be able to answer Valtalma’s question best.

However, since you asked Ed, and just to let you know, a good bit of the info you posted above is incorrect. I understand you were just posting info you found, but it doesn’t help if the info is wrong.

Their statements below both of the first two pictures, actually the first three, is incorrect, they say “production code” between the “forward branches”, and it is actually between the rear branches. And, the second picture says 1968-72, and that is wrong. In late ’71 the VIN location changed, and in ’72 it changed again.

I can’t say when the changes were made, but for ’71 the VIN is stamped on the front of the block, below the head, behind the P/S pump bracket. Then for ’72 it is where it is shown in your last picture, beside the water pump on the passenger side. They say 1973 and up, but that is where it is on my ’72.

Just thought I would let you know Ed, since you seemed to be wondering.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I suppose that I should contact someone at Team Buick then and have them contact you so they can straighten out their mess.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RivNut said:

I suppose that I should contact someone at Team Buick then and have them contact you so they can straighten out their mess.

Nah, don't have them contact me, I can only speak about the years that I own, the ones that I can verify info locations. I am no expert, that's for sure, I just only post what I can verify as correct.