polishing and buffing aluminum

Hubert_25-25

I am having a very difficult time getting all of the shine to come up on my aluminum spark lever.   I can't tell you how many hours I have spent trying to get this surface to polish up.  It all feels smooth now, but it still has some oxidation haze and super tiny black specs.  I am afraid that if I take it to a chrome plating shop they will buff off the lettering (I have had this happen before and that is very frustrating.)  I have spent hours on the buffing wheel with red rouge, but mainly white rouge.  I have used a sewn wheel and unsewn wheel on a bench motor.  I do not mix red and white rouge.  I have also spent a lot of time hand polishing with  simichrome, and that usually does the trick.  I have not had this much trouble with another piece.  The piece is a massive improvement, but I want to clear coat it when I am done, but I don't want to clear coat this.  Any help is appreciated.   I did try sanding a section and coming up in grades of grit, but that did not seem to help.  Are there any other tricks or really good products for removing this haze.  Photos are before and where I am with this.  Thank you,    Hugh

IMG_6007.thumb.JPG.8e1ff38141c5e32a9899160800a0f702.JPG

IMG_6727.thumb.JPG.8122efacfc2d21ec2e8a6d0db0c76122.JPG

IMG_6728.thumb.JPG.64b4ea926831573b60ac1e1089e3326d.JPG

IMG_6730.thumb.JPG.9e1cda8e7a31a50e725321263a415530.JPG

My guess is the black flecks are micro corrosion pits filled with rouge. If that's the case only sanding them out will remove them. You alone will have to decide if that is advisable as opposed to seeing them as acceptable "patina"..............Bob

• Like 1

I agree with Bhigdog. If you have polished aluminum the same way before, and this time it is not working the same, it may be the quality of the aluminum or the age and condition, in this case pitting.  It might be possible to get the black out with a toothbrush and Varsol and make the pits less noticeable.

Casting porosity is probable. It probably wasn’t polished when new. A glass bead look may be the way to go. What is the year of the car, and make? 

This is from a 1925 Buick Standard.  The edges seem to polish up better than the large flat surfaces.  I do believe that these were originally polished to a high shine.   The 1926 aluminum hubcaps were polished.   I don't think I could take a picture of the surface, but it looks and feels pretty smooth, but if the light hits it right, you can see tiny dimples.  

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)