322 nailhead on Topeka CL

RivNut

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

https://topeka.craigslist.org/pts/6625740027.html

I emailed the seller asking if it was a two barrel or four barrel intake

00g0g_bodY5jS2XmI_1200x900.jpg

He replied with this picture

image.thumb.png.71c4fccc0fa4e47fdffb7c5cb832cb17.png

The casting number for the engine code to a 54 - 56.

I have nothing to do with this posting other than finding it on CL and posting it here.

Ed

I spoke with him on the phone. He said it's a truck engine. I don't know why it has a 1957-8 driver's side exhaust manifold, however, 322 round ports, 1957 up square ports? Don't know much about 322 trk engines.

6 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

I spoke with him on the phone. He said it's a truck engine. I don't know why it has a 1957-8 driver's side exhaust manifold, however, 322 round ports, 1957 up square ports? Don't know much about 322 trk engines.

Oooo. Now i want it

8 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

I spoke with him on the phone. He said it's a truck engine. I don't know why it has a 1957-8 driver's side exhaust manifold,  however, 322 round ports, 1957 up square ports? Don't know much about 322 trk engines.

Chevrolet and GMC used the Buick 322 c.i. V8 nailhead engine in their 1956-1959 medium-duty trucks. Do a GOOGLE search for Torque Master Engine or refer to a Fel-Pro gasket catalog for more info.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

17 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Oooo. Now i want it

I have a stick flywheel from one if you need it, but you have to come get it cuz I can't lift it!

On 7/14/2018 at 8:00 AM, 1953mack said:

Chevrolet and GMC used the Buick 322 c.i. V8 nailhead engine in their 1956-1959 medium-duty trucks. Do a GOOGLE search for Torque Master Engine or refer to a Fel-Pro gasket catalog for more info.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Previous discussion referenced the 322 Loadmaster for that era trucks:  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/59525-322-buickchevy-truck-nailhead-info-anyone/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, old-tank said:

Previous discussion referenced the 322 Loadmaster for that era trucks:  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/59525-322-buickchevy-truck-nailhead-info-anyone/

Call this guy up and ask him if he knows what he's talking about and report back.  http://centervilleautorepair.com/tech-info/nailing-down

. . . "The reason few know much about these engines is because there is so much to know, I have been amazed by the many changes made during the Nailhead's existence," Martin says. "The 1953 322 is a separate motor, with a special block, heads and pistons, etc., but the 1954-'55 and '56 engines also have many differences, both with the 322 but also with the 1954-'55 264 engine as well. The 322 was also re-designed and used in large GMC and Chevy trucks from 1956-1959 – this version of the engine was called the Torque Master . . ."

. . . Getting your balance with a the Buick is critical. "Because all Nailheads are externally balanced, the flywheel/flexplate must be installed with the index holes lined up," Martin explains . . .

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1953mack said:

You're looking under Chevrolet. What does the book show for GMC?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

No 322 listed; there is a 401 but it does not match the bore/stroke of a Buick; also the engines are not named like the Chevrolet.