'36 Dodge

autonut

Have a '36 Dodge and want to get it running again.  Wanted to get on a couple of websites for parts, and they want to know what series it is?  My VIN # is D2152041,  Thus is this a series a D2?  That comes up with as a coupe. Mine is a sedan.

Can you get me straight on this? Thanks

Lee

I'm fairly new to the 1936 D2 party having purchased my four door non-touring sedan back in October of 2016 but I can offer some info.

Yes, all 1936 Dodge passenger cars were designated "D2" but the vehicle identification number did not start with D2.  The VIN for 36s started with 4015051 and ended with 4276687 and the VIN can be found stamped on a rectangular plate affixed to the front passenger side door jamb.

The number you've given appears to be the motor number and I do realize that some states used the motor number as the VIN.  But Chrysler considered the number on the rectangular plate to be the VIN.  Does your car still have that plate?

Engine numbers for the D2 started with D2-1001 and ended with D2-266089 so your D2-152041 seems to have been built more than halfway into the model year.

What body style is your D2?  Of the 265005 D2s built the vast majority were four door touring sedans (174334 built).  The next most popular body styles were the two door touring sedan with about 37,500 built and the two door business coupe with about 33,000 built.  The remaining body styles were all much less popular having less than 6000 example of each built.  Only 750 convertible *four door sedans* were sold.

So find the VIN plate and tell us what you have.  Also the exact body style, color, and condition.

Edited by Pete in PA (see edit history)

There are also 2 tags mounted on the firewall under the coil. The large tag is the Chrysler data tag and the smaller one is the body number tag and it also starts with D2. Pete is correct that the serial number tag is mounted on the right "A" pillar. This should be the number that the car is registered with but one of my cars had been registered with the body number. In the line up there are 6 sedan models: 2 and 4 door sedan, 2 and 4 door touring sedan , 7 passenger sedan and the convertible sedan..The touring sedans, 7 passenger and the convertible sedans have the bustle trunk and the standard sedans do not. It's important to know which one you have as all parts do not fit all models.There were severl through the year changes made so the serial number is needed to identify the correct part. Replacement parts are hard to find. Mechanical parts are easier to get as many are still on the market, some can still be purchased at many NAPA stores if you know what to look for. New  body parts are virtually non-existent, but there are some hand made parts on the market but they don't fit very well from my experience. Steele Rubber has most of the rubber parts but again not all are duplicates of the original. Most new body moulding clips are not available new but some have come on the market recently. There are many small parts that are only going to be acquired by using a parts car or by hard hunting. There are several parts dealers that carry parts for these cars, Andy Bernbaum, Robert's Motor Parts , Restoration Specialties, Th Plymouth Doctor , Dodge City Vintage and several others. Swap meets can also be a good source for parts but you do have to know what you are buying.This forum can be a good source for parts and info as well as the internet and Hemming' Motor News magazine. Also the Dodge Bros. club. I've found that the best results are obtained by contacting other owners who have traveled this road before. I have been working on '36 Dodges for at least 20 years and have worked in the hobby with Restoration Specialties and have made some good contacts. I also do repair work on the side for these cars and would be happy to help in any way. Feel free to PM me with any need or questions as I have many of the replacement part numbers  books and info. Best thing is for you to purchase a Master Maintenance manual for Dodge cars '34-'36, a Motor's Manual for '34 up and a '36 dodge parts book which can all be found on the internet. Information is one of the keys to getting to know your car and as a bit of advice, don't throw anything away until the car is complete also, there are a lot of parts that come up for sale on E-bay, many are not accurate for your car and most are way overpriced. Best bet is to inquire before buying something if you are not sure! How about some photos, we can tell a lot by pictures. Good luck with your project.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)