Need Help With Front Lower Control Arms

cuzinpete

Hi...the bushing in the picture broke off on my 1990 Riviera. Does anyone know if a new bushing can just be installed to fix it? Or do I need a new lower control arm, which is impossible to find. And is that bar that is sticking out from the red circled part in the picture actually part of the lower control arm, or is it called something else. And if so, can it be replaced independently? Sorry for so many questions but I just want to be able to get the right parts so my mechanic can fix this. Thanx for the help!!

20180322_102152.jpg

You will need a new lower control arm and new bushings at a minimum The threaded end of the brake reaction rod has rusted away and broken off. (see photo) I don't think you will be able to buy new control arms so finding a good used one is you best bet.  Check the forum's Reatta Parts Vendors  and you will find several used parts vendors who might have the parts you need.

control arm_I.jpg

You should be concerned about the cradle bushing bolts being rusted on that car. They can be a safety hazard that shouldn't be ignored. The first photo below shows you want can happen if they are defective. The second photo shows how they should look if they are in good condition.

Cradle_bushing_rust.jpgCradle_bushing_1.jpg

Thanx for the info. Are these bolts readily available? Hopefully the used control arm I end up finding comes with bolts, but I'm not betting on it. Would they be sold at a parts store or are they just specific to this model? All the help is greatly appreciated. I want this job to be made as easy as possible for my mechanic.

53 minutes ago, cuzinpete said:

Thanx for the info. Are these bolts readily available? Hopefully the used control arm I end up finding comes with bolts, but I'm not betting on it. Would they be sold at a parts store or are they just specific to this model? All the help is greatly appreciated. I want this job to be made as easy as possible for my mechanic.

There is one bolt that holds the control arm to the subframe. If that is the bolt you are concerned about you should ask the vendor of the used control arm to include a good bolt with the control arm. I don't know what size it is. That bolt isn't in the Reatta Store.

The subframe cradle mounts can be found here in the Reatta Store. The cradle mounts are not a direct replacement for the OEM cradle mounts. They are no longer available new.  The bolts that come with the cradle mounts will not work on the Buick Reatta. New bolts must be purchased separately. All the details you need about installing the cradle mounts and the bolts can be found here: Engine Cradle/Sub-Frame Bushing Replacement

Besides the control arm, I just want to buy anything else that is likely needed, or could be replaced while it is taken off. Any suggestions would be great. If my mechanic doesn't end up having to use extra parts, it's no big deal. It's better to have more things than I need, than to need something during the job.

2 minutes ago, cuzinpete said:

Besides the control arm, I just want to buy anything else that is likely needed, or could be replaced while it is taken off. Any suggestions would be great. If my mechanic doesn't end up having to use extra parts, it's no big deal. It's better to have more things than I need, than to need something during the job.

I would recommend a new ball joint and sway bar links since you will have them loose to replace the control arm. I'm assuming your Riviera and the Reatta use the same parts.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm gong to be honest. I'm not in the rust belt so that much rust is unusual to me. From the rust I see I would have a mechanic closely inspect this car to make sure it is going to be safe when he is done before spending any money on parts or labor. Besides checking the front the rear should be checked closely too. Reattas (I don't know about the Riv) are prone to rusting out where the rear suspension bolts to the subframe.  Unless this is an otherwise really nice Reatta, the cost of repairs might not make sense.

No offense is taken...my Riviera just hit 99,000 miles and runs fantastic...when he inspected the control arm, he said there was no problem with the frame and the rust was on the surface and normal for a 28 year old car in Buffalo. I've put about $6000 in odds and ends into the car in the 3 years I've owned it, and I really don't mind paying to have work done to it. It's also cheaper than having a $400 or $500 car payment every month. I'd never sell it, so I'm not looking to get anything back on what I've spent on it compared to the bluebook value. I have had the sway bar replaced already, and the ball joint link you sent me sounds like a great idea. Do you know off hand if I need more than just the one set of bushing that go at the end of the bar? Thanx for reading my long winded drivel...lol!!

I understand your position. Having to make decisions about rust is something you are better qualified than me to make.   There are rubber bushing where the bar mounts to the frame. Several sizes of bars were used. You will need to check the diameter of the bar on your car before ordering those.

Below are a couple of photos that show where the rear suspension might be rusted.  Have your mechanic inspect where the rear axle bolts to the frame and where the rear strut goes into the strut tower closely.

attachment.php?thumbnail=305  attachment.php?aid=334

I'm very familiar with the Riviera and Reatta of the period. Have a '89 and '93 (bookend) Riv's.

Most parts interchange with the Reatta.

Being east coast I'm ALSO familiar with rust.

Have seen many a GM of the period with nasty underbelly rust.

I had another  beautiful '93 Riv that was so rotten underneath that the ride control brackets had completely rusted off. Parted bad boy out and sent the rest to the crusher.

I want to thank everyone for all the time they took helping me out with the advice and all the info given...Jim Finn came through with a beautiful used control arm, and my mechanic was able to fit her in with a little bit of finesse, and a little fire from the blow torch!! Lol...Everyone here is so amazing and I hope to be back for some more advice on some "elective" work that I will be doing in the future...Thanx alot!!!

A "Flame wrench" is very common in the rust belt. The nuts can get rusted tight and are then heated and then a wrench is used to turn them off. When doing exhaust systems  the torch is used to cut the muffler clamps or for quick cutting of pipes to remoeve them faster. Many guys who do a lot of repair work have them in their garages  just for these purposes.