1928 Buick Transmission removal - advise needed

dracenroc

I need some advise removing the transmission of my 1928 128" Master.

The rear axle is completely removed, all bolts and nuts are removed and all the other stuff connected to the tranny.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I need to remove first to pull the transmission out and remove it.

Do I need to remove the 6 flywheel bolts first before pulling it back?

I also tried to remove the lower flywheel housing, but it seems to be hold back by the dowel pins.

Thanks for any help!

Werner

If you have removed everything from the torque ball(4 bolts) ,then you you  just need to remove all  the bolt and nuts that hold the flywheel house upper and lower.Yes there are some dowel pins too,but no need to remove those.No need to remove the 6 fly wheel bolts.

Leif in Sweden.

Thanks Leif.

I removed the 6 bolts from the driving sleeve and the nuts(2) and bolts(9) from the flywheel housing.

OK, I'll try again and pull harder. I was just not sure and won't bend or break something.

Probably it was not the best idea to loosen the engine mounting bolts already, the engine is moving back instead the transmission is separating :rolleyes:

Can you post pictures?  That might help reveal some of the issues... 

When I pulled my 27 Master transmission I supported it on a floor jack from beneath and once the bolts were removed the weight of it made the separation easy. 

As it came out I removed the brake pedal and flexed the battery box bracket out of the way. 

052414 buick clutch (3).jpg

052414 buick clutch (7).jpg

052414 buick clutch (13).jpg

052414 buick clutch (17).jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all for the help!

The tranny is out!

I just had to pull it harder with the help of a chain tackle block and I used a jack stand for transmissions. It came out when I fixed the engine to the frame again.

The hardest thing was to move it around the exhaust (no, I didn't removed it before :rolleyes:). By bending the battery box bracket back and tilting the transmission it worked.

I didn't had the time make pictures while I removed it...I needed both hands and had do hold it firmly on the stand:D.

• Like 1