ISO Buick Reatta convertible project

Guest TerboSpaghetti

Guest TerboSpaghetti

Hey hi new forum!
I'm looking for a project Reatta convertible.
A blown engine (or none at all) is almost preferable, the car will be getting a second or third gen 3800.

Convertible top condition is not super important, but a decent interior and body panels are my number 1 priority.

Let me know if you have any leads please!

PS, I'm partial to blue! Haha

Welcome to the Reatta world..........since you gave us some info on your preferences, I will try to bring you up to speed.

Chances are you will find a 1990 as the number of 1991 convertibles are about 1 to 10 for that year.

White and Red were the highest production colors so there again with almost 60% of the production in those colors finding a blue convertible with a bad engine is a long shot.

Guest TerboSpaghetti

Good info, thanks!

Color isn't a deal breaker, I'm ok with whatever I find, but given the choice...

Your info makes me wonder why you didn't mention '88 or '89, did they not make convertibles then? If possible, I'd like to get an older model for the sake of the touch screen control center

I'd really love to see an '88-89 converted. With all of the custom rigs and Shops now days- it must be doable.

In fact- after a quick search, here's what I found:

COMPANY #1      COMPANY #2   

Both sound like it's what is desired here. As Barney pointed out- because of the "testing feedback" the CRT was dropped for '90-'91, and because of "glare and contrast issues" the convertibles never saw a CRT. A color TFT LCD was needed.

I'm not a Purist (as you can tell by my powertrain paint scheme) but I'm not into a "Raver Reatta" either;  I do believe in being happy. Life is too short- to sit and wish for what you're told is "impossible" or "stupid" because the herd of Lemmings don't approve.

If I were able- I'd love to have Lambo door kits on my '89 Reatta. At $400 for each...:(

Do what makes you happy.

Guest TerboSpaghetti

Seems like the dash would be the easier thing to change in an existing convertible, and all the work will be done by myself and some 3800 nerd friends.

I can handle swapping wires and bezels and such, chopping roofs for a convertible that's gonna go faster than stock sounds expensive and time consuming

Guest TerboSpaghetti

Didn't know that was a place! Do you have a link or contact info? AZ is a long way from Grand Rapids but if the car was right I'd make it happen!

Guest TerboSpaghetti

If I were to buy a nice coupe, I would probably keep it all stock. I love reattas, so that would be very fun, but this project calls for a little bit more.

As for the 3800, I know very well how durable they are! I'm a porting tech at a performance shop and 3800s are our bread n butter. Hence the access to later generation crate motors

You are in a pretty good place to find a Reatta.......Michigan has one of the highest number of registered Reattas in the country (assuming the snowbird have not taken them to Florida)

As you know the car was built in Lansing and there are still quite a few people in the Lansing/Flint area driving their cars......the down side is RUST

Convertibles are nice but the coupe is more practical and plentiful.

There was a guy named Dan Herrick up in Flint, MI. He was at a Dort Motor car factory (now defunct). He was parting out many Reatta's and parts for someone's estate. I don't know if he is still there doing that but you can check it out. I was texting him at 810-515-6859 when I bought a complete rear suspension assembly from him.

Another place you could check is Matt's Used Auto parts in Hyde Park, New York. When I was there buying a few Reatta parts he was trying to sell me a whole car. He said he had three he wanted to sell. He also had more in the yard that were being parted out. (845)471-2377.

Edited by fordrodsteven
Added Matt's Auto Parts. (see edit history)

Dan's employer passed away and the remainder of the parts have scattered.  The building was sold so they had to get rid of the parts.  Marck Barker purchased some of the parts.

Jack Oliver (lives somewhere North of Flint) purchased most of the to leftover parts his phone number is 989 723 8454

• Like 1

Welcome TerboSpagetti!!

I am curious to hear about your plans with an upgraded power train . . . maybe I can volunteer my car for the project!!  Haha

if you plan on keeping and enjoying a Reatta Convertible, I think the above advice to look for a 1990 is correct.  We have seen some higher mileage verts go for between $2500 to $5000.  Folks that owned convertibles tended to drive them less in bad weather.  I think it's pretty much the same as looking for any older vehicle - buy they best one you can afford and try to find a one or two owner Buick as you're more likely to have found a car that was maintained and repaired properly throughout the car's 26 or 27 year history.

There is a gentleman named Ryan Gick who owns Sinister Performance (gmtuners.com) - he recently completed an engine swap for a 1990 Reatta convertible owner where he planted a 3800 Series 3 Supercharged engine with undisclosed performance upgrades.  From his home page, click on customer cars and scroll to the bottom of the page where you see a white Reatta.  Definitely a worthwhile read and this is the direction I plan to take with my Reatta, unless I decide on an electric motor instead!!  

I look forward to following your project and I hope you take lots of photos and share them here!!  Good Luck!!

• Like 1