DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A BUICK SPECIAL AND A SPECIAL DELUXE

buick special

I think I am right on this, so here goes.  A Special, a Special Deluxe, if there is such,  will be the same. Actually, I find no mention of deluxe until 1950.  The 1940 Specials are 40 series, with each model [body style] having a different number, i.e. Mod 41 for the four door sedan.  

Ben

Derek, you are correct for '52.  But not 1940 according to  THE BUICK, A complete History.  Nothing listed with Deluxe in the name until 1950.  The Special Mod 41 four door touring sedan also came as the 41D deluxe version.  Strictly trim level, I think.

The sellers buick special is talking are simply uninformed, I guess.

Ben

US and Canada are not the same.  The production details listed in Buick A Complete History are for US production.  Post WWII Buick production in Canada started for the 1951 model year.  For 1951-1953 certain Canadian models were the Custom DeLuxe and the regular models were just the Custom.  For 1954 they were the Special and Special Deluxe in Canada.  In the US it was the Special and Special Deluxe for 1950-1954.  Then the next time the Special Deluxe shows up is 1964. Nothing prior to 1950 in either the US or Canada.

1951 Canadian Buick Ad 04.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Thank you for all the replies , I did not think there was a Special Deluxe in 1940 but would occasionally see a 1940 listed online as such

the seller would usually say the Special was a Deluxe due to the trim or accessory package which confused me since I never saw that in any Buick brochure