64 Riv - turn signal front bulb access

bodayguy

Hi, if you mean at the front, they should be the same as a '63 whereby you remove the cast metal grille with six screws, then remove the outer and inner lenses to get to the bulb. Should look like this.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't feel dumb, this forum is great for information from simple to complex. Rivieras are almost over engineered, no compromise so you need to remove six screws. On a Chevy it might be 4 and a Ford just two would be used. ?.

There is a real wealth of knowledge here that we can always tap into. Another good move if you haven't already is to look at joining the ROA Riviera Owners Association. Again gives you access to a wealth of information.

I'm in Australia and we have a number of Rivieras here, but the association and the forum are priceless.

Enjoy, Rodney. ?????

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017 at 6:42 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Don't feel dumb, this forum is great for information from simple to complex. Rivieras are almost over engineered, no compromise so you need to remove six screws. On a Chevy it might be 4 and a Ford just two would be used. ?.

There is a real wealth of knowledge here that we can always tap into. Another good move if you haven't already is to look at joining the ROA Riviera Owners Association. Again gives you access to a wealth of information.

I'm in Australia and we have a number of Rivieras here, but the association and the forum are priceless.

Enjoy, Rodney. ?????

Rodney, I was wondering how the turn signal bulbs in the front get changed. Thank you very much for the information. I can use this.

Red Riviera Bob

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Rodney, I was wondering how the turn signal bulbs in the front get changed. Thank you very much for the information. I can use this.

Red Riviera Bob

Bob,

There are 6 screws you remove to get the chrome turn signal/parking light bezel off. That will expose the plastic lens. I believe there are 4 screws that you remove to get the lens out. Be careful with the lens it is in 2 pieces, the curved front and a flat back panel. Removal of the lens will reveal the bulbs. Handle the lens with care as the plastic is very brittle after all of these years. Be especially careful with the tabs that the screws go into. Reproduction lenses are very expensive and very good used ones are hard to find.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63
add text (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Bob,

There are 6 screws you remove to get the chrome turn signal/parking light bezel off. That will expose the plastic lens. I believe there are 4 screws that you remove to get the lens out. Be careful with the lens it is in 2 pieces, the curved front and a flat back panel. Removal of the lens will reveal the bulbs. Handle the lens with care as the plastic is very brittle after all of these years. Be especially careful with the tabs that the screws go into. Reproduction lenses are very expensive and very good used ones are hard to find.

Bill

Bill, the additional information regarding the handling of the parts in the turn signal capsule is most helpful. I don't have a heavy hand as I once had, but I have to be ever vigilant not to get too aggressive in handling parts 50+ years old.

Thank you

RRB

Bob,

while you have the lamp grilles off, you can clean up all the rough edges on the rear of each of the bars with a mill saw file, one with a safe edge.

And if you are keen, some extremely fine wet and dry rub followed by some auto polish on the lamp lenses ( check you can use on plastic) will remove any fine scratches and let the light shine through.

Better than daytime television. ?????

Rodney

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2017 at 3:27 AM, bodayguy said:

yes, thanks, now I feel dumb, I didn't realize those screwed off

Bodayguy, I feel dumb when I get great information on “ how to”, then lose a couple screws!

Then to go and replace them takes how many trips to where ever to find the right size?

Red  Riviera Bob