Hand crank studebaker

Guest Waldo615

Guest Waldo615

Hello all. I have some questions about studebakers. A distant can't member has had a studebaker that is a hand crank version. I'm waiting to get details like the year and which one it is. I've tried researching online but can't quite find the answers. 

Does anybody know there years and or models that had the hand crank engines? 

And what are these cars worth now. It's in great shape just sat and collected dust over the years. I'm planning on getting this car and doing whatever needed to make it run again. I think it actually still will crank over. It hasn'tbeen driving since my great grandfather passed away long time ago. 

Is it worth doing the work and what could it be worth? 

What years had hand cranks? 

Its not a truck it's the car. Anybody that knows these cars please help me figure this out and thank you

Guest Waldo615

Thank you for replying I'm hoping to get this one from my distant cousin. Nobobys doing anything with it and I work on cars. I'd love to get this classic back to original. I don't knw what they are worth. Do you know how much yours is worth?

Guest trap442w30

mine had been sitting in a storage building since the early 1980's, and had not run since the 1970's.... 4 valves were seized, but I could roll the engine over.  The owner died in 2015, I got laid off in November and went to the building to see if there was anything I could scrap (the building owner owned the car) I noticed the car was uncovered.  I called the owners son (I thought I could get a side job getting it running).  He turned down my offer and said he just wants to sell it.  I asked him how much and he said $2500.  I asked if he'd take anything less.  He said he just had it appraised for $7,750 the way it sits (and showed me a copy of the appraisal).....then he said he could go as low as $2,000.  However, I'm still working on my biggest expense with the car....The car is 7'-4" high, my garage is 7'-0" high.  So I'm working on another garage that the car can fit into.

Guest Waldo615

Thank you for that info. I will have more I go on this one very soon and get back to y'all. It's Georgia I'm in Tennessee. My dad I'd down there getting the information for me now. 

Guest Waldo615

So basically this car is at least a 1913 or older? It's in great shape my great grandfather drove it and when he past it's been parked in a barn covered every since.  My dad is trying to talk his cousin to let me get it because nobody else is doing anything with it. 

In wonder what is worth

On 9/12/2017 at 9:32 AM, dictator27 said:

Any Stude up to 1913 had no starter.  Hand crank only.

That's probably true, but it is extremely misleading.

1913 were the first "real" Studebaker gas cars. Any Studebaker up to 1913 is most likely pulled by horses.

Horse drawn vehicles were Studebaker's main business. They were long established when cars came along. Before 1913, Studebaker made some attempts to get their feet in the automotive business by hanging a "Studebaker" radiator script on them and selling through their dealers. They did this with Garford cars for sure (around 1908?), and I believe there were some electric cars as well. The last time Studebaker did this was an about 1911, with EMF, after buying part of the company.

EMF was the maker of Flanders and EMF cars. A 1912 "Studebaker" is an EMF (or maybe Flanders) with a Studebaker radiator script hanging on it. In 1912, Studebaker bought the remaining portion of EMF, and started gearing up to make their own cars. In late 1912, the first "Studebaker" gas cars emerged as 1913 models. They were very closely related to the EMF.

I have a 1913 model 25. It has gaslights, and originally had a Prestolite self starter that worked by leaking some acetylene into the intake and then firing the ignition. I consider this a hand crank only car. Studebaker probably didn't. There are also Studebaker model 35 cars in 1913. Those had electric lights. I don't know if they had electric starters.

Edited by Bloo
.. (see edit history)

On 9/12/2017 at 12:55 PM, Waldo615 said:

So basically this car is at least a 1913 or older? It's in great shape my great grandfather drove it and when he past it's been parked in a barn covered every since.  My dad is trying to talk his cousin to let me get it because nobody else is doing anything with it. 

In wonder what is worth

Waldo, just a couple of quick questions. How old are you and do you have any experience at all with cars this old? The older they are and more obscure brands the greater the difficulty. 

Guest Waldo615

Im 36 right now. I dont have experience in a car this old at all. I have always done my own work on all my cars and friends and families cars since I was 16. Ive worked on everything from chevy-cadillac, nissans, Ford's, and more recently mercedes. This Studebaker I'm still not clear on the year of it yet as I'm waiting on response from a family member. I just remember when I was young at a family reunion I saw it and it still had a hand crank sticking out the front of it. It's just sitting in a barn in Georgia and has been for many years. I would like to get it and see what it's going to take to either restore it or maybe sell it to somebody else who has the knowledge and passion for these cars. One thing I hate to see is a classic car just rot away

I was just wondering Waldo. These cars are a lot more difficult than I had imagined. My 1929/30 has is made for a hand crank though I don't have one to use.  I wondered because in my 20s I ruined a 1955 Buick 4 door hardtop. I took it apart and never put it back together again. Finally the frame and body were hauled away because the city was cracking down on non running cars. I still have some of the parts though it will never be a whole car ever again. How much harder a pre war Studebaker will be to find parts for. A pre 1935 car is even more so. I have had to learn so much that is different than the 1960s cars I grew up working on. You have at least made a good start coming here for help. Don't ever hesitate to ask when you get the car. It is likely that like myself you will need a great deal of it. 

The cranks stayed around for quite a while after electric starters came along. Think of it as a backup plan for that day the battery is a bit low.. If you can get some pictures of it we can better tell you what it is. There are quite a few different Studebakers that had cranks.

Welcome to the forum!