pre-war Delco-Remy Distributor mystery port

70sWagoneers

Ive got a Delco Remy distributor off a 1937 Buick Special 248ci. Ive stripped and painted the housing. During the process of purging all the old grease I took out this cap screw (background of picture #1). But I didn't realize there was a spring and possibly something else in the hole! It is the "possibly something else" that concerns me. I just went about pushing and digging all the grease out and luckily found the spring after I pushed it out. From other forums, I think this is the "pipe plug" for the oil reservoir along the distributor shaft (picture #2). In picture #2 it looks like there is just one thing behind the plug, but I cannot tell what it is. Just a spring?? But then that brings me to the question, "What does the spring do?". I would think the spring would be holding a check ball or valve. Did I loose a ball?? Let me know what yall think.

Thanks,

James C

Pic #1

20170824_195110.thumb.jpg.b939cc51543656a5475f2680901f6c99.jpg

Pic #2

223811-1000-0.jpg.9fb3e607186308ac9d4359a646dcafe3.jpg

The diagram shown isnt exctly what a '37 should have.

On the '37 there are oil ports that must be clear, both in the block and distributor body. Also, that grease fitting is for a lower chamber that should be pumped with grease until it comes out a hole in the side of the body - very strange! Seen in this photo, lower little hole.

Providing the car has the correct distributor.

DSC_4255.JPG