1929 Chrysler 65

Dave Phillips

Hi there, 

I'm new to the forum and live in the UK, I have a 1948 Chrysler Windsor and a 1929 Chrysler 65 5 window coupe.

Here goes with some Questions for the Experts.

My 29 came to me from the States earlier this year, but I don't have much History, all I've got is the title with the previous owner and a badge on the Grill for an AACA Senior award in 1980. If anyone knows where I can get some History that would be great.

I'm going to repaint the car over the winter which should be straight forward as i work in a bodyshop, could someone tell me what the original color the engine and trans would have been.

I have a lot more questions but I'll leave those for another day, also I'll put a picture on next time.

Cheers Dave from Rainy old England:)

Just a thought. AACA used to usually publish most of those awards in the "Antique Automobile" magazine. Every year, a few issues were mostly some photos and long lists of awards earned.

I do not have nearly all the issues from those (or really any) years. A quick look at a few issues I have didn't find anything promising, but one minor maybe. It would help if I/we could know for certain what class the award was in? Or also in which national showing it was awarded. The publications always lagged a couple months behind the shows, so any showing in mid year 1980 might be published in late '80. Fall meet showings likely would not be published until early in '81 issues.

On my quick look through several magazines, I did find one mention of a '29 Chrysler in class 18b (four wheel brakes, more than 4 and less than 8 cylinders, '20 through '29). However, it was a preservation award, and no body style was given. I think it was also likely a 1981 meet given the timing of the issue (late '81). 

So, other than a suggestion of where to try to look, I don't think I can be much help.

Info should be easy to obtain from AACA HQ.  The AACA Library and Research Center should also have the information you need for paint, and perhaps a lot of additional.   One of the advantages of membership son don't hesitate to join the club.  There are a large number of members in the UK.  Welcome to the forum, and please let us know how you are doing and include some photos.  You might even end up with a few of us visiting at an event there someday.  We'd love to get back to Beaulieu for the Autojumble some day.

Terry

Perfect thanks for the help and picture. I am now a signed up member and  I also know my engine is the correct colour, it just need new paint and detailing. Here's a photo of both my Chryslers outside of my garage at home, I work part time at a classic car body shop so I restored the 48 about 15 years ago, the 29 is in good condition but I'm going to reprint and detail the whole car in the near future.IMG_1060.thumb.JPG.f2d74b888ba9716a7ef3ea6df492e9ff.JPG

Dave, please do not refer to your home as rainy, as I am planning on showing our car at Hampden Court Palace at the end of the month. I would much appreciate it if you would arrange for sunshine while I am in town. You have two very nice cars, and I think you will find everyone here friendly and helpful. Welcome to the club and good luck with your new purchase. Ed