Buick Reatta Ignition Coil Replacement

Findareatta

Just replaced my Ignition Coil for my 1990 Reatta and the original Magnavox Coil was replaced by a (Magnavox Coil) named Power Select/WPS CDR36. I tested the secondary coil (across  the cable terminals on my original coil and it read 12.9 to 13. at 200 ohm resistance on my multimeter. Now i checked the same resistance on my new coil and the secondary read 6.9. Would it be safe to use this new coil? If I used this new coil should the new plugs be gapped at .045? 

Personally I do not care for the Magnavox since the Delco unit with replaceable coils is a bolt in. One issue is the potting material in the ICM is not stable over time (green ooze). That said the static resistance is just a good check for a bad coil, the running impedance is what is important. I assume by the non-stock replacement, originality is not an issue.

The Delco coil primary resistance is half that of the Magnavox and have been running in all my Reattas since near the turn of the century.

I use Delco Rapidfire #14 plugs and gap .060 with the Delco, .045 with Magnavox since Reatta does not wind very high.

BTW this really belongs on the Reatta Forum.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The specific coil that you purchased is something of an unknown other than RockAuto selling it as proper.  The vendor website states "OEM design and Quality" and while that may sound comforting, that could be misleading.  The original Magnavox "OEM" design has a checkered history.   Most of the aftermarket Magnavox style parts are of the same design as the original and with that all the inherent weaknesses.  New in of itself is not necessarily better!  FYI, both the coil pack and the associated ignition control module (ICM) underneath should be replaced together as a failure in coil most definitely can damage the ICM .

Wells Electronics did a complete re-engineering of the Magnavox style ICM and coil pack and the change is pretty phenomenal.  I know that the conventional wisdom is to swap out the Magnavox setup for the later designed Delco setup with the 3 individual coil pack, different ICM and the proper mounting bracket).  This is a sound strategy.  However it is NOT the only solution.  The Wells Electronics version of the Magnavox design (sold thru Autozone) incorporates even more modern electronics than the Delco and as a result starts MUCH quicker (1/3 rev) and under more extreme conditions.  Of course you are still stuck with the single, replace it all, coil setup. 

Again, I am NOT knocking the Delco setup as it was a huge improvement over the original Magnavox and you really can't go wrong with the swap over but the difference that the Wells setup delivered on my Reatta was profound. Starting my Reatta had never been an issue, taking a couple of so revs to fire but now I just basically bump the starter and it is off and running.  Again, Wells did a complete redesign of both the coil pack and the ICM so while the single pack design is maintained, the rest of the setup is definitely NOT the OEM Magnavox design. 

• Like 1

Interesting on the Wells improved module.

Just an observation from years of posts on this subject. The most common failure is the module on the Magnavox style and the coils on the Delco. I have the article somewhere about the output of the Delco setup, and it is more powerful, but both systems seem to have a less capable link.  Both are light years ahead of the old points system with the amount of power and low maintenance.

1 hour ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Yes, I have the Thrasher article from many years ago, and is what I was referring to. Thanks for the reminder it was quoted in Padgett's tutorial. Always good info to have.

• Like 1

http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/ignition-coil/duralast-ignition-coil/367748_576410_17367

http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/ignition-control-module/duralast-ignition-control-module/18730_728908_1343

Notice that they even go so far as to state in the description on the ICM that the parts are engineered and manufactured by Wells Electronics.

If you have not already replaced the plug wires, now would be a good time to do so along with new iridium plugs. 

Edited by drtidmore (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Wells is a good manufacturer, I have some parts from them. The major difference with a Delco is price: the whole package the last time I bought one at the recycling center was $40 so I have spares and generally carry one (5 minute job if you only use two bolts).

As mentioned the biggest issue with the Delco is the coils but are individually replaceable and all three are the same.

Have gotten used to the single bump starting, mine are the fastest starting cars I own, just pause a second in RUN then bump START.