FLUID DRIVE INTERRUPTER SWITCH (is this right)

Does this look correct? All the info I have shows one lead on the interrupter switch and as in the picture mine has two. This transmission was thoroughly rebuilt before I obtained the car so I have no idea if this was replaced or is what they removed and reinstalled. Does anyone have any idea if this is correct and if so what does the other lead connect to? The leads with the clips do not seem like a brake light type switch. I've looked around in the forum for a couple days and can't find the info I need. Thanx once again.

Mark

20170712_100953.jpg

14998696756031064556329.jpg

You couldn't have looked very hard. I went to the top of the page, did a search for Fluid Drive wiring harness and this was the very first post it linked to. It contains 2 different wiring diagrams and links to more information. It took less than 1 minute.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/291179-fluid-drive-harness-diagram-needed/#comment-1587185

If you scroll down to post #13 you will see the simpler wiring diagram of the transmission controls only. It shows 2 wires to the interrupter switch. One to the governor, the other to the coil by way of a resistor. This resistor is found in a small box on the air filter strut on 49 up, somewhere else on earlier models.

14998862706571098204601.thumb.jpg.4f23edeb93df5ed39dc51624398fe4c2.jpgThat wire is ours. We have installed she aftermarket wiring harness and my mechanic ran the second write just in case it was needed. According to all the wiring diagrams I have found the interrupter switch only utilizes 1 wire. The fluid drive harness, which is separate on its own, we are making ourselves since I finally found the correct carburetor.

Edited by Steelbreeze
Wrong word (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

You couldn't have looked very hard. I went to the top of the page, did a search for Fluid Drive wiring harness and this was the very first post it linked to. It contains 2 different wiring diagrams and links to more information. It took less than 1 minute.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/291179-fluid-drive-harness-diagram-needed/#comment-1587185

If you scroll down to post #13 you will see the simpler wiring diagram of the transmission controls only. It shows 2 wires to the interrupter switch. One to the governor, the other to the coil by way of a resistor. This resistor is found in a small box on the air filter strut on 49 up, somewhere else on earlier models.

Yes these are the diagrams I am going by in my other thread, but the one you stated with the 2-wire set up is for the M6. Mine is the M5. And my year is 47. So my relay is in the fender well. And the interrupter that came on the car is 2-wire and the correct diagrams show 1-wire.

Edited by Steelbreeze (see edit history)

So, someone put in the wrong interrupter? Or did they change to a newer transmission?

This suggests the original 1 wire job grounded the circuit while the newer one completed the circuit. If this theory is correct the 2 wire should work if you ground the other side. I would have to see both wiring diagrams to be sure. It would be better to use the correct interrupter if you can get one.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

So, someone put in the wrong interrupter? Or did they change to a newer transmission?

This suggests the original 1 wire job grounded the circuit while the newer one completed the circuit. If this theory is correct the 2 wire should work if you ground the other side. I would have to see both wiring diagrams to be sure. It would be better to use the correct interrupter if you can get one.

You pointed out the 2-wire diagram and I posted the 1-wire diagram. So that should be both of them. I also believe they are both in my old thread that you pointed out earlier when you said I must not have looked very hard. The one you referenced was actually my posting. I think it has the complete wiring diagram and not just for the fluid drive. I am not sure about the part if it was replaced with the wrong one as I stated in this original post, the original tranny was rebuilt before I acquired the vehicle. The previous owner said he had the engine and tranny rebuilt with "all new parts". Whatever that means. LOL Thanx for the help and info if you figure it out

4 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

It sounds like the guy who rebuilt the trans used the wrong switch. Is there any chance he still has the old one? Or that you could get the correct switch?

nope. The only thing I ever found out about the rebuilder is that it was a shop in Miami. And the best timeline I have is that it was done around 5 years ago. My only hope it to find one here, on EBay or Andy Bernbaum. My mechanic was thinking the same as you that we'd just ground the other post but I'm not a big fan of guesswork and my thought is that it is already self grounded through its housing. Did you have a chance to go over the wiring diagrams?  I'll start my search for a single pole interrupter switch.

That's the wrong2 wire interrupter switch for as you already know.

The 1946-48 M-5 transmission uses a single threaded stud interrupter switch.....    .MoPar Part # 1113105

The 1949-53 M-6 transmission cars use a two terminal interrupter switch.

The two terminal switch shown above is not even the correct one for the 1949-53 M-6 transmissions....I don't even know what it's for.

Shown below is a 1948 Chrysler M-5 transmission with the correct interrupter switch on top of the trans.

C39 3 pass Cpe resto Blakes.JPG

19 minutes ago, c49er said:

That's the wrong2 wire interrupter switch for as you already know.

The 1946-48 M-5 transmission uses a single threaded stud interrupter switch.....    .MoPar Part # 1113105

The 1949-53 M-6 transmission cars use a two terminal interrupter switch.

The two terminal switch shown above is not even the correct one for the 1949-53 M-6 transmissions....I don't even know what it's for.

Shown below is a 1948 Chrysler M-5 transmission with the correct interrupter switch on top of the trans.

C39 3 pass Cpe resto Blakes.JPG

That was my thoughts. To me it looks like a brake light switch. But who knows. Now I just have to find someone selling the correct interrupter switch.

18 hours ago, Steelbreeze said:

The one that sold is listed as a neutral safety switch which mine does look like and what my mechanic thought it was. The interrupters are different. I wish I could use the neutral safety switch but don't believe they do the same operation.

I searched on MoPar Part # 1113105, which C49er posted was the correct interrupter for 1946-48 M-5 transmission. All of those auctions claimed the item advertised was the part # 1113105.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has first hand experience with this as far as knowing if the 2 prong switch in miner is correct or if there is a part number located on the switch, please let met know if mine can still be correct and possibly one prong is simply grounded.

The Single terminal interrupter switch is correct for 1946-48 chrysler M-5 transmissions.

I assure you this is correct!!!!!!

I have worked many many of the 1946-48 Chryslers and own several of these cars from Royals to Town and Country's.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 8:35 PM, 46windsir said:

I just wanted to see if you had any luck getting the car running on the 12v wiring conversion, I will be running into the same problem myself .

The car starts and runs but I still haven't completed getting it on the road. No issues so far other than o was told a voltage reducer will not work for the clock. Someone wrote to me that they could convert it for around 80 bucks but I can't find that correspondence. Good luck and let me know if I can help. We also installed a modern wiring harness with fuse terminal.