NOS 1935 Studebaker President Headlight Reflector

Now we all know how hard it is to stump Don Axelrod, The most knowledgeable headlight guy on this planet.  Well, I just came close.  At first he didn't recognize it, but finally an aged brain cell kicked in.   Don is now in the possession of a NOS '35 President, President ONLY, NOS headlight reflector.  Don hasn't had one in probably 40 years, genuinely referred to, in Don Axelrod terms, as "rare as rocking horse manure".  So if indeed you have a '35 President and have been looking for a correct reflector for 39.9 years or more, contact Don immediately....

• Like 1

I also stumped Axelrod a few months ago when I broke one of the "Control Beam" lenses on my '35 Commander.  He and Bob Kapteyn were the first people I called.  Axlerod knew exactly what I was looking for, but said he had not seen one of those lenses in 30 or 40 years.  I did finally track down a lens from another vendor

The reflector mentioned here, if it fits '35 President, will also be correct for a '35 Commander.  It is made to accept  all the fancy stuff on the back that allows 6 different headlight beam positions.  Studebaker part number 261201 for left hand drive, 261202 for right hand drive.

Tom

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I advised Dinosaur Don regarding your post.  His reply was are you referring to Commander 6 or Commander 8, inferring that there is also a difference between those models...

What do I know....I'm a Packard Guy.

And as recently as two days ago, there was no line outside his door to purchase said reflector.

• 2 years later...

When I first bought my ‘35 Commander I managed to crack a headlight lens. I called Don Axlerod and he immediately told me he hadn’t seen any of those lenses in 40 years. I asked him what he would sell them for if he had any and he said “$1000 a pair”.

I managed to find another vendor who had a lens for me and replaced the one on my car. Another pair popped up somewhere and I bought that pair also

I thought about what Don had said about these lenses and took the cracked one and the (now)  extra good pair with me to Hershey the next year.  I went to Don’s space and fished the cracked one out of my bag.  He immediately recognized it for what it was, stated again that he didn’t have any and hadn’t seen any in many years. When asked what he could sell a pair for, he again said “$1000”

I then fished the good pair out of my bag and offered them to him for  $500.  Don changed his story right away and said he couldn’t buy them because they were a very “limited market” item and he’d never sell them.  All I could do was laugh and walk away.

I just realized how old this thread is and that one of the posts (the one with the picture) is mine.  Anyway, this post brings my ‘35 Commander headlight lens story full circle.

Now, if anyone needs a good pair of ‘35 Commander or President headlight lenses, the offer I made to Don stands. 

Tom

• Like 1