Adding electric accessories to '29 Dodge

Bob Zetnick

Not sure if I'm asking the correct question or have the correct terms here. I have a '29 Dodge DA 6 w/ a 6v system. In its past it had an electic lighter and turn signals added which were never a problem for the system. I am currently rewiring the car and have come to the acessories. Besides the lighter and turn signals I've added a heater, small fan, spotlight and making the wiper motor electric.....these are all 6v. I wondered if the system could handle all that, but it wouldn't be used all at one time. I also had wondered if I needed a second battery that I could recharge seperately, but was told it wasn't necessary. The previous setup had a hot wire to my ammeter, going through a fuse and then all leads coming from the other side of fuse.....all the wiring got real crowded at that one side of ammeter and I'm sure I couldn't fit any more connections on the one screw. My questions / thoughts are 1) Could I use a bus bar to get the other connections and connect it to ammeter? 2) Should I use a fuse block for added acessories...and do I need a fuse for each added item? 3) Maybe a combo of the bus bar / fuse block will work? 4) Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Be sure not to under volt the ignition system. Running a separate power buss from the battery for all the extra stuff is the way to go. Often people run electric fuel pumps and a bunch of other stuff off of the amp meter, causing voltage drop, and poor operating coils.

• Like 1

Just remember to turn all the stuff on that new circuit off when you park.

You could use a solenoid that is triggered by the key switch to run the extra accessories. I have a compressor in my Dakota wired up that way, 12 volts of coarse.

Just make sure its a constant duty solenoid of the 6 volt variety.