36 Dictator Coupe 3A distributor

I have been searching for the correct removal of the distributor, but haven't found it. Can someone please tell me how to remove it correctly,so that when I put it back in, it is in the correct position? I want to clean/check the vacuum advance and see if the bushings on the shaft are in need of replacement and paint it. Also the vacuum line is broken, copper I think. Need a new line and a way to flare the end.

Thanks,

Dennis

All of the cars I've taken a distributor out of I just unbolted the hold down bolt and just took it out. You want the number1 cyclinder at top dead center if you pull the plugs you can put a straw in the cyclinder and slowly manually turn the engine until the straw is at the top of the cycle. Then the rotor has to be in the same position as the number 1 spark plug wire. When it comes out  it will turn some as the gears disengage so you have to allow for that and put it back in the same way. Then you have to reset the timing. Watch the rotor as you remove it and try to put it in the same position going in as it was coming out the rotor should be on the number 1 wire again. It's not the best description but hope it helps easier for me to do than explain. 

You can buy a flange tool to make a new tube or some auto parts stores lend tools with just a deposit. 

Good luck. Have fun -  that's what these old cars are suppose to be 

54 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

All of the cars I've taken a distributor out of I just unbolted the hold down bolt and just took it out. You want the number1 cyclinder at top dead center if you pull the plugs you can put a straw in the cyclinder and slowly manually turn the engine until the straw is at the top of the cycle.

Um, the spark plugs are over the valves so this doesn't work so well in a side valve, does it? Maybe you could lay it down as far across as you can and when it goes DOWN on the outside end it might work?

You are most likely correct as I have not done that on a flat head (I assume it is a flat head ) and forgot all about the valves being in the way. But putting the rotor on the no1 wire should put it at top dead center shouldn't it?  There has to be a way to determine TDC for number 1 

sorry for not thinking of that -- I blame the grey hair pulling all the brain cells out of my head. 

Use the timing marks. There should be one for TDC.  Or don't worry about it.  Just mark where the distributor points and make sure that you don't move the engine again.  When you put the distributor back in make sure it points to the same place and you are good. 

Nathan