Time to condense

PWB

Spring clean up:

I decided to take a gamble and replace what were probably half a century old condensers / capacitors and MAN, what a difference.

My radio sound is SO much clearer with the car running. B)

Might want to check yours too

VIN.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

Paul, where did you get the replacement?

Ditto.

All I can ever find are within the .18-.23 uF range. The generator and coil capacitors are supposed to be .3 uF and the capacitor on the voltage regulator is supposed to be .5 uF. I would love to replace all of them with shiny new ones. All of them check out with a multimeter, but I never checked for leak down as I'm sure they probably all have.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

11 hours ago, EmTee said:

Paul, where did you get the replacement?

A regular multimeter can not determine capacitance. Time and disuse kill them based on my research.

0.5 mf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200914563955?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and the points + ignition coil = 2 of

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222407812004?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

That is step one if you get inside the radio itself, as well. The new plastic wrapped ones are better than the old paper.

One the larger ignition and charging side you can't beat Echlin from NAPA for quality. And larger, within reason, is OK on them.

Bernie

10 hours ago, PWB said:

A regular multimeter can not determine capacitance. Time and disuse kill them based on my research.

You can, it's just really hard to see if they are internally leaking from age. You can change from capacitance to voltage and then back real quick to give it some juice and see if it leaks down or not, but the voltage supplied is really small and you often can't tell. All of the capacitors in my engine bay checked out with their proper reading, but I'm sure they are leaking down.