jack and stand points

fordmerc

I have  a floor jack and many jack stands. I want to elevate  my ’41 120 so the body is high enough to work under and all wheels are off the ground. At what point should I start with the floor jack?  Where should I place the 4(?) jack stands? So far, I have not found a consistent system that seems safe and efficient. Advice will be appreciated.

I had my Clipper on stands for many years and it seems to have survived.  Not sure how much difference there is between a conventional and Clipper body frame but I used the heavy crossmember under the engine to raise the front.  It is fairly wide and heavy on the Clipper.  Placed a pair of front stands under the side rails staying on the flat bottom in the area where the X meets the side rails before the rails kind of slant up.   On the rear I used the differential case or pumpkin to raise and placed the rear stands as far back on the rails as I could to still be on the flat bottom before the rails kick up to go over the rear axle.   

Agree with HH56. My '41 120 Coupe is currently up on stands. Trolley/Floor jack under the centre of the front cross member, fortunately the lifting point of my jack fits fairly neatly into centre part of the cross member so it doesn't slip. Then jack stands for the front  just behind where the front torque arms mount to the frame and just in front of where the X meets the frame. For the rear jack under the centre of the diff housing and then a jack stand each side under the centre of the spring. Some years ago, for the rear, when I access to larger jack stands they were placed at the end of each rear frame rail. With what I have now, still not enough room for my arthritic body, I need bigger jack stands or a lift!!

''Jacked up''.JPG

Thanks for the input. I had reservations about using the differential case for a jack point but  I will proceed  to do that because it is the easiest approach. For the record, I have used a 3/4 inch thick piece of wood as a "cushion" for the jack which makes me feel better  about pressing metal to metal.

• 3 weeks later...