Heating/AC diffusion system help

tkeiser1

After 40 years I've finally gotten a 60's car to tinker with. I have a 63 Riviera and the air diffusion system for the heat and a/c is broken and rotted out. I've been looking on line for replacement parts, but to no avail. Can anyone help?  (4700 model type)

Can you tell us what you are referring to by the term "air diffusion system"? Do you mean the

ductwork in the dash, the A/C evaporator box and doors assy, the control panel, the vaccum lines? Specifially

what is broken on the car?

You can get replacement hoses, both for the duct and the vacuum stuff.  If the system integrity is there, it operates and just needs hoses I would do that, but if its broken and a bunch of stuff needs to be replaced you have to weight which direction to go.  Factory replace everything or change to a Vintage Air setup.  Its really up to your budget and intentions

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay . . . real life interrupts sometimes.

My question involves two items in the dash: (1) the black plastic piece that diffuses the air from the a/c; and (2) the defroster assembly located on top of the heater box.

I have tried to repair with duct tape, but would prefer replacement parts. 

Another question is how to reinstall the black plastic piece connected to the a/c. I was able to remove it because it was broken, but the whole piece will not go in. The only way I can think of is to remove the brake pedal, but I'd like to know if there's another option.

Thanks for any help you all can give.

They will come out on the passenger's side.  But the only way I've been able to do it is by removing the evaporator first.   :(

See if there's a way you can repair it in place.  Any repair that doesn't leak air is considered good.  It's not noticeable when everything is back in place.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. That's what I was afraid of. I think I might be able to squeeze it in from the driver's side if I remove the brake pedal. If that doesn't work, I'll have to decide whether to take it apart and try to repair it in place, or take out the evaporator.

Thanks again.

Tom