Distributor stuck

toomuchvinyl

Thanks, I'd been told by local folks that maybe putting a penetrating oil around the edges of the base and tapping with a plastic faced hammer would be something to try. I was just hoping that the aluminum/iron conflict hadn't just fused it together. Guess my worst case would be having to find a good used one if I break it.

• 3 years later...

I posted this a few years ago but wanted to revive it to see if anyone who wasn't a member of the forum at the time or didn't see it may have any wisdom to share. I've been a little reluctant to get tough with the distributor for fear of breaking it but I would like to get this resolved this summer if I can.

Thanks again to those who responded back in '15 and I'd still appreciate any insights others may be able to offer.

Keith

Get a small butane torch and heat the intake where the distributor shaft enters. While hot spay pb blaster penetrant on shaft where it enters the manifold. Have a fire extiguisher handy in case penetrant ignites.  Allow to cool, check if it moves. Repeat if needed. This has always worked for me. 

1 hour ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Get a small butane torch and heat the intake where the distributor shaft enters. While hot spay pb blaster penetrant on shaft where it enters the manifold. Have a fire extiguisher handy in case penetrant ignites.  Allow to cool, check if it moves. Repeat if needed. This has always worked for me. 

That's a new possibility and it makes sense that a little thermal expansion/contraction could help to break it loose. Thanks Arnulfo!

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Heat the area enough so that holding an unlit candle against it will melt the wax.  The melting wax will seep down and it will loosen.  Check out some YouTube videos on the same process.

I'll look on YouTube and check that out. Thanks Ed!