For Sale: 1931 833/467

Guest Cynthia

Welcome to the great world of selling old cars. 99% of interested parties are browsers, not buyers. They'll waste your time, they'll make appointments they have no intention of keeping, and even though you think something is priced reasonably, you will get no buyers. I deal with all of that every single day. And I will say that if this is your only advertising venue for this car, it will probably not sell. You'll get views, but most of the viewers are not actively looking for such a car, they're merely curious and interested enthusiasts.

I've been admiring the car and I think the price is within the realm of reasonable. PM me if you'd like more information.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Likely not the route your friend wants to go but consignment might make a lot of sense here. Showing the car as a favor is really nice, but marketing effectively may take more time than you have. You could still be the gatekeeper of sorts and look out for your friend. Why not let someone else market it and screen the inquirees. Sure it comes at a cost but it may come down to how much longer she is willing to have the car for sale. She may be getting to realize that she wants to move it along for space or emotional reasons if financial reasons alone don't drive her thoughts.

In any event, GLWS. Nice looking car.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I didn't say $20. I said $20 too high, and that was based on seeing the price lowered to $65 (another problem with not modifying the original post, I didn't see the third price drop). The real value is in the $40,000 range, and even then only to the person who is really enthralled with it. Remember, it is the standard "Eight" model, not a Super Eight or 12, and it needs restoration.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Going to  start  the  Packard tomorrow. The  owner  wants to  make  sure  when the  new  owner  comes to  pick  up the car, its  going  to  be ok so he  can  drive it to its  new  home. I  like it  because I get  to  hear a  super great  car  run  and  take it  for  a  ride.Life  does  not  get  any  better  than  that. Well  may be  when  i  drive  the  Pierce  Arrow  Limo.

• 1 month later...

O well,  I  have  a good   Ohio  title to  this  car.  The  buyer  insists on  a  N.H.  title.  I  go  to  the  state motor  vehicle , You  need  this  &  this  and  this. Finally after  all  the  bull ,  we  have  a  N.H. title. I  have  sold  3  cars  from  N.H.  with  the  last  registration and  a bill of  sale. to  3  different  states. I  guess  we  will  have  to  live  with  this.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, got  the  N.H. title,  money in the  bank.  Go to  get the  car  to deliver  to the  new  owner.  And  yes, that  GOOD gas  we  get  today stuck the  needle  valve  closed so  no gas  would  get  to the  bowl. Took  the  carb off  and  cleaned the  bowl area. Ok,  starts  and  runs  for  a  second  and dies. Has  a  electric  fuel pump.  Removed and  cleaned  the  filter  which was  also  filled  with crap  from  the  gas  we  get  today.Put  it  all  back  together and  purrs like  a kitten. Will  deliver it in the  morning,  tooo  rough a day  for  this  old  guy.

Delivered the  Packard  to  the  new  owners  representative.  Me  being  a Hupp  guy,  its  still  great  to  drive  a  car  such  as  the  Packard  or  the  1927  Pierce Arrow  that  i  drove  this  last  past  winter.The  best  thing is  that  I  made  a 91  year  lady happy  and  see she  got  a fair  deal  for  a  car  she  loved. 

Great update and outcome Hupp36 - glad you were able to sort out the last minute headaches, which I am sure would have been challenging - no maybe seemingly insurmountable for the lady selling given her situation.  A nice Packard that hopefully now sees some regular use again!~