Help on 1950s car ID

Guest Dean_H.

Guest Dean_H.

Hi everyone,

Noticed this car while driving through Los Banos yesterday. Pretty nice looking body lines, but after searching around the internet for makes I thought it might be, I still can't seem to identify it. Not a matter of life and death here, mostly just curious. Thanks for any guesses or positive IDs.

Here's a pic I took with my phone

losbanoscar.jpg

losbanoscar.jpg

Guest my3buicks
99% sure that 3-piece back glass was unique to '57 Buick and Oldsmobile 2-door hardtops.

On Buick, that window design was on all Special & Century's regarless of

2 dr/4 dr/2 dr hrdtp or 4 dr hrdtp

The Super & Roadmaster had a one piece back window, there was a couple models on the Roadmaster that had a chrome spear that went back the roof down over the window (and gave a similar look) and condinued down over the trunk.

post-30591-143138889428_thumb.jpg

Guest Dean_H.

Thanks guys, 57 Oldsmobile eh... didn't realize Olds made a car that would appeal to me so much. Maybe, I'll stop by and ask how much, but I really can't start another project right now. Oh well, thanks again...Dean

Guest Dean_H.

Hi John, hope you and your family are doing well. I'm afraid the old Desoto is still about the same as the last time we talked. I did get the motor started and it ran super nice for a few minutes, but when it warmed up, one valve became stuck. Figuring the valve stem was probably gummed up with old oil, I attempted to work it up and down while spraying some carb cleaner on it without much success. I picked up a head gasket for it, thinking it'd be better to just pull the head and clean up the valves, but've been busy with other stuff and haven't got to it. It's a great looking car, 'I'll get it going one of these days'....uh oh that's what people generally say that never do get to it. :-)

Truth is, I'm swamped with other work for at least for the next year or so. Cars are on the back burner for now.

I'll add a picture taken on the day I brought it home.

800pixc.jpg