I don't know what this first one is, any ideas?

Guest South_paw

Guest fotofan

I wouldn't hazard a guess, Lou, but I'm willing to bet that it put a horse out of a job! Thanx for these images of some really rare stuff from the dawn of automotive time.

Guest DeSoto Frank

Fourth photo down, the plump gentleman in the rear seat is Gottlieb Daimler*; I believe the lad at the controls is his son.

(* as in "Daimler-Benz" ;) )

695dca510a1e0172_landing

df1498db15d01b78_landing

127645ef047d8999_landing

bd528b8efcbc03a9_landing

b7f3cdd51688c301_landing

2dc064e5f08a2d48_landing

4faaf3a0d2b09384_landing

d7273f3f7c4c50ab_landing

Guest DeSoto Frank

The "Steam tractor / buggy" looks like it's cobbled from early Model T parts (steering geer, front wheels, tranny pedal...)

I think the "steam tractor / buggy" that Frank is refering to is made from Model K Ford steering column and front end with Model B Ford engine. It is Henry Ford's early farm tractor.

I have seen pictures of Henry Ford sitting on this before. I belive it is gas powered and the tank is actually the water cooling tower. Dandy Dave!

Guest DeSoto Frank
Actually, here is Henry Fords first Tractor. No water tower like the tractor pictured but very similar in design.

Fordson Photo

Fordson Photo

Dandy Dave!

Okay, I've seen these photos before... a long, long time ago.

Looks like they mounted the Model T (?) engine in a transverse manner... if Fordsons were known for "rearing-up" on their hind wheels, I wonder if this machine was even worse ?

If the photos date from 1907, I would think it is more reminisant of an R, N, or S motor. Looks too small for a K motor, which was a 6 cylinder. The fordson "F" Built from 1916-1927, was a lot more powerful. These tractor were notorious for back flipping, as the drawbar is very close to the rearend housing and will not touch the ground in a rear-up. If the wheels caught the ground and stopped, the worm drive would climb the gear and flip the tractor. A lot of farmers were killed on the early Fordson tractors. I have had 3 or 4 "F" models though the years. Dandy Dave!

The car with Gottlieb Daimler on board looks to be the original Daimler car of 1886.

The wire wheel car below it is a Benz Velo I think - Benz's first 'small' car!

The 'dos-a-dos' Panhard pic dates from about 1891. These early Panhards had gears but not in a box! This wwas the first car to use the 'Panhard system' as most later cars did with an engine in front, gearbox behind and final drive behind that. The Daimler Phoenix engine has hot tube ignition and takes quite a long time to start from cold. The last one - the rear-engined 'vis-a-vis' might be a DeDion-Bouton from about 1899.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cben09

Hi,,No 2 and 6 are Panhards,,and the gentleman w/gotee behind #6 is Hon Evelyn Ellis,,early English motoring pioneer who drove when it was illeagal,,He converted one of these early Panhards to a firepump for his estate,,Ref,Badmitton Library/sports/motoring,1902,,,Cheers,,Ben

• 4 weeks later...