Production of 1966 Olds Starfire with 4-speed trans?

Guest factoryrat

Guest WMACHINE

I'm Kurt Shubert (previously mentioned in this thread).  I have a fully documented '65 Jetstar 1 with a 4-spd.  You can see it here: http://wmachines.shubes.net

Olds only offered the 4-spd (and only the M20) in the big cars in '64, '65, and '66.  In '64 only with the Jetstar 88, meaning you could only get it mated to the 330, the only engine available in the Jetstar 88.

In '65 and '66, it was available in all of the B-bodies.

The only production figure I have are as follows (from Oldsmobile and/or the GM Heritage Center):

1966: no known figures

1965:

Starfire Hardtop; 122

Jetstar 1; 233

1964:

There is a complete breakdown of the big cars with manual transmission by model.

Jetstar 88s  w/m20; 312

Jetstar 88s  w/3-spd manual;  874

interestingly, there were 112 1964 Jetstar 1s with the 3-spd manual trans.

Kurt- did the Heritage Center have anything on the 1965 4-speed Starfire convertibles?  For years most of us thought there were only two produced but way more than that have surfaced in recent years.

Shame Olds didn't keep as through records as Pontiac.

Guest WMACHINE

I know of 8 '65 Starfire convertibles, interestingly 4 of them are Ocean Mist (light green).   No, the GMHC has nothing on the convert production.

Actually, Pontiac did not keep their records either.  If it weren't for the efforts of a couple Pontiac employees (my understanding is that one was at a relatively high position there), they would be lost just like the Olds records.  These employees took and saved (again my understanding is with permission) the records that were going to eventually be trashed.

I know of 8 '65 Starfire convertibles, interestingly 4 of them are Ocean Mist (light green).   No, the GMHC has nothing on the convert production.

Actually, Pontiac did not keep their records either.  If it weren't for the efforts of a couple Pontiac employees (my understanding is that one was at a relatively high position there), they would be lost just like the Olds records.  These employees took and saved (again my understanding is with permission) the records that were going to eventually be trashed.

Pontiac did keep records and that is where Pontiac historical Society comes in which took over for Pontiac. Unfortunately the records only go back to 1961 because of a fire.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I have been a fan of Oldsmobiles and particularly interested in manual trans cars. They are uncommon across the board, but they were made. They were almost ALWAYS oddball special orders. The 1964 4-4-2 offered a 4 door 4 speed. I saw one. My interest is the 1973 Cutlass, last year for the manual. I even saw ONE 3 on the tree '73 Cutlass Supreme. I can tell you from my observation that back then you could get a 4 speed in the big cars up to 1966 as far as I have seen. I have seen a black Starfire and a red Jetstar at OCA shows. I also know of a project red Starfire tucked away in my friend's barn. It is his dad's and will not be for sale anytime soon. I examined it closely, because I am building a 1966 Wildcat 4 speed. I am told back then all 4 divisions engineered their own linkages with no interchange. The 1973 era is much simpler as all four use the same basic parts. The Oldsmobile factory was slipshod with record keeping. To make matters worse before the massive interest in "numbers matching" they had a fire, which destroyed what they had. At one time before her passing you could write a pleasant letter to Helen Early and she would personally pen a response with whatever info she had. This makes me feel old... I would like to know how many 1973 Cutlass Supremes were made with 455 4 speeds. I will never find out for sure.

Most likely the rarest 73 might be a Cutlass with the standard engine Chevy six and three speed stick on the column.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest Justintiime

hey guys. first post here. I have 4 1965 starfires (3 coupes and 1 convertible) in various states from driver, to project, to parts car. I also have 1 immaculate 65 4 speed starfire. Odometer shows 7900 miles. It has had some engine work done to it. There is no rust or rot anywhere. The body is straight as an arrow. It turns a lot of heads and is TONS of fun to drive. I got it at Mecum Kissimmee last year. I've heard only 122 4 speeds were made in 1965. My dad crashed one when he was a kid.

20170302_200004_zpscwvahfdv.JPG

20170302_200411_zpsosu2qsf4.JPG

FB_IMG_1488067823731_zpsqwihuwcd.JPG

FB_IMG_1488067857129_zpskkizqim5.JPG

FB_IMG_1488067862892_zpsyyefusrb.JPG

FB_IMG_1488067877933_zpstsndi7hd.JPG

FB_IMG_1488067885027_zpsy1llear5.JPG

FB_IMG_1488067890192_zpsp1wpzu2w.JPG

FB_IMG_1488067895084_zpsfmddx1jj.JPG

FB_IMG_1488067901451_zpsgnndbqfv.JPG

FB_IMG_1488067907322_zpswdfych4n.JPG

IMG_20160116_134114727_HDR_2_zpstg2kgmd8.JPG

1 hour ago, Justintiime said:

I'm near Roanoke. I helped reinstate the Smokey Mountain Cruisers at the 2016 nationals :)

You're probably not gonna make it to NoVA, then.  :D

Was that your Starfire is saw on the trailer in front of the Marriott at Nationals, then?  I sure lusted after that car.

Guest Justintiime

yes that was my car. I had JUST arrived in time for the dinner. Then I had to go unload at the house I rented lol

• 4 weeks later...

Take a look here..........find the Olds section then the year.  I looked at '66 and it appears the Starfire can standard with a 3 speed and 4 speed or automatic were optional.

These show room books are good reference material but because they were usually printed well in advance of the release of that model year, some of the info can we wrong, discontinued, never really offered or later available but not shown in the booklet.

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/olds.html

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

• 5 years later...

Hey guys, time to bring back this old thread :)

I posted about my black 4 speed coupe above. About 4.5 years ago I picked up a basket case 4 speed convertible out of Miami, FL from a deceased OCA members estate. It was a bad deal gone south, but resurrected once the family had to liquidate the estate. 

The car had been off the road 30+ years. There was no interior, and it didn't run right. The list is long, but it has a complete new interior, rebuild engine, proper carburetor, reconditioned engine bay and undercarriage, all new chrome, polished stainless and the list goes on. The car should be finished in 1 week. Only things left to do are install the recast sport wood steering wheel once it arrives, and next year I will source the air conditioning parts and get that system operational again. For now, I just want to drive it. I will be debuting the car at the Olds Nationals in Tennessee, and I have been invited to show the car at the Muscle Cars and Corvette Nationals in Chicago in November :)

20220513_152554.jpg?width=960&height=720
20220325_134149.jpg?width=960&height=720
20210108_125629(1).jpg?width=960&height=

Edited by Justintiime (see edit history)