Dixie Flyer "Firefly" speedster photographs.

Carine is correct it is a 1932-3 SA Speed Twenty. this is an early version of the Speed 20 with beam axle front suspension. later cars had independent front suspension with a transverse leaf spring. Perhaps you should consider taking your next holiday in Australia. You could look at the Alvis CC of Aust web site, Several O/S visitors were lent cars for this Rally, others brought their cars with them. The same way that we take our Lagonda to the U.K. and Europe every five years.

With a little luck we will have the Dixie Flyer in Louisville Kentucky in 2010. Now that will be something else!

Sorry Keiser 31

I have to get a rear end sorted out before I can move the chassis out to photograph, hope to do this within the next few weeks. Saw the engine at my reconditioner's factory yesterday and it should be ready for me to collect and start assembly before Christmas. The Gearbox is having a complete set of new gears cut so that may take a little longer. At present I am concentrating on the little bits at present, so my search for a early 20s "Sessions" 8 day dashboard clock continues. Once the chassis is on its wheels I can start on the body frame. If I showed you a photo of the interior of the single car garage that I work in you would have a fit!

Hello & welcome David au

My good friend, motoring writer and historian Michael Worthington Williams alerted me to NW Motors some time ago. Sadly they seem to have disappeared without a trace. I did find one garage in Wales that had a Dixie Flyer agency but that trail has gone cold too. My search has been nothing if not diligent.

I too owned an early 20s Metalurgique in the mid 70s. In my humble opinion one of the best 2 litre cars of the period. Probably even better than a 2 Litre Lagonda in lots of ways. Now that is praise! Of the 30 or so Dixie Flyers sold around Australia all except one seem to have been broken up by 1940. Even my car was just a pile of very rusty bits when I bought it 18 months ago.

Guest Good Old Days

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Lots of Dixie Flyer photos, only two Alvis pics!

What are you complaining about? grin.gif

Sorry we disturbed the original subject, but if you're honest these English aint so bad! whistle.gif

BTW My Alvis is parked next to a Studebaker and used to be parked next to a Dodge Tourer 1924 (sorry to say but right hand drive!).

I'm sure Bernie is going to post lots of interesting pics for you! cool.gif

oeps sorry 3 Alvis pics</span>

post-56819-143138018236_thumb.jpg

If you go back to my very first photograph of the Dixie Flyer and look closely at the pile of "rubbish" in front of the car you will see the crankshaft, the diff centre and crownwheel carrier. Then you will perhaps understand what I am up against. My interest in old motor cars goes back to the 1950s when as a 16 year old I bought a 1919 Austin 20hp for the princely sum of ONE DOLLAR.

Guest Good Old Days

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Just teasing you John! smile.gif

Bernie, did you do that emblem yourself? It looks terrific!

A very nice logo anyway, I guess not to many build of these cars.

1922 is an interesting year for most cars to my opinion.

Like the twenties anyway.

Don't know whether there are Dixie Flyer cars overhere, perhaps in a museum.

Good luck with your work. quite some work you got there! grin.gif

Carine</span>

Very interested in the Metallurgique that you owned Bernie. Was it a 12/40, Model S and is it still in Australia or is it the one that was in Brisbane and then went to England in the late 70's, early 80's. I believe that Barry Vinen in Melbourne has a few of this model but apart from a few earlier ones there does not seem to be any others around. Mine came from Stradbroke Island off Brisbane in the 70's. I part restored it at that time and then it went to NZ where it was finished off and used until I brought it back here about 4 years ago. When I can find out how to post photos I'll include one of the car.

David

1923 Metallurgique

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom 2 Continental

Hello All

For those who have missed Peter G's instructions on how to post a photo, I have printed them out and have them pasted on the corner of my monitor screen.

Follow the prompts and you should be OK.

You may have to wait for a minute or two for your caption to appear at the top of the message box then click on "done adding" box then "submit". easy peasy once you learn.

post-51681-143138018264_thumb.jpg

Hello David

I am not sure of the model designation but the "Met" that I had was a Chain driven camshaft model. It had a original Van Den Plas 4 seat tourer body a bit down at heel but very original. I believe that it fell on hard times and was exported to the UK some years ago. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I take it that you are a "Brit". Look for my stuff in the Automobile from time to time.

Bernie J.

No, No. I live in Brisbane.

If it is the same one,I think I saw your Met. in Brisbane back in the 70,s. Green paint and it had the original black upholstery in it. The engine was out for reconditioning. The ower was a woman and she hadn't seen the motor for about 5 years. That particular car was sold in England and it went to Germany for a while. The guy that runs the Metallurgique web page has brought it back to England and has done it up and he now has three of them.

I'll for try the Dixie details again. Hope it works

David

1923 Metallurgique

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom 2 Continental

Hi David

Your Met looks very similar to the one that I had It was a faded blue/green. After I replaced three burnt out exhaust valves it went very well. I live in Melbourne. Your could try e-mailing the Dixie stuff to me. <hel_bern@21century.com.au>

Bernie J

Past Pres & Hon Life Member VSCC of Vic.

Long time member VDC.(Aust)

25+ year member VSCC (UK)

Aust Rep Rapier Register.

Over 100 cars during 50+ years of Motoring.

Motoring Writer & Historian.

Guest Good Old Days

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">1923 Metallurgique is that a Belgium car?

Nice model, the open models are always a pleasure to look at. smile.gif

Even Australia is a small country when you're talking about cars! Good luck with your car cool.gif

Carine</span>

Hello

Now to get back to the original subject of this post. Remember it was to be all about the Dixie Flyer. I have just been speaking with my engine man and he assures me that he has just one more machining operation before he can give me back all the bits ready for me to start assembly. Problem is that he will also give me a bill that will shake the foundations. Meanwhile I have pulled out the mudguards ( the British call them wings and I think that the Americans refer to fenders) they need some work but they are the original and I think have an interesting/unique shape. They can and will be repaired.

post-51681-143138019901_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all you Dixie Flyer watchers. Sorry no more photos for the moment but the ENGINE should be back home early next week once we get the clutch mechanism sorted out and balanced. It would have to be one of the earliest examples of Messers Borg & Beck's art. The other news is that on wednesday & thursday we are off on the 200km trip to north-east Victoria ( Australia) to do some more farmyard searching and a bit of detective work on the garage that held the Dixie Flyer agency in the late teens and early twenties. Watch this space........

• 3 weeks later...

Hi From Sunny Australia.

While some of you are enjoying(?) a nice white Christmas with snow piled up to a couple of feet or more deep. Spare a thought for us poor Aussies with a balmy 25 degrees C forecast for Christmas day and a somewhat warmer 36 for the next day.

Meanwhile I hope that this Christmas brings you good cheer and blessings aplenty and despite all the Guru's worst foreboding that the New Year brings you Good Health and many more miles of enjoyable "Vintage" motoring.

Bernie J.

I know it is a tangent from Bernie's main topic, but I can fill in details on that other Metallurgique in Brisbane. It was owned by ted Pollard, and by 1970 it was property of his daughter and her husband who I met on the FIVA International Rally here. They were travelling with and assisting a participant from Qld, and when his car broke down he abandonned them without accomodation or transport. At that time I was by myself in the 1918 Mercer, so they came with me and I gave them my accomodation and camped elsewhere. Michael sat in the front passenger seat of the LHD Mercer to tell me when it was safe to pass other cars, at he was a bit nervous until he got used to the car and that I knew what I was doing. (Morris Burrows said that "Mercers don't like parades"). I gather at the time the Met needed substantial engine rebuilding; but that never happened through the duration of the marriage. Someone did a fair bit of work on it, and then I was asked to check and finish what was needed and assemble it. I clearly remember that the main bearings had been line-bored without the block bolted down; so I had to re-metal and bore the centre main. I think some of the conrod bolts may have had two different thread pitches visible by eye so I had to make a new set; and there was something about the cam follower levers not right. I would have to look up my old docket books to see what else I had to do. After the engine went back to Qld I never heard from her again.

Barry Vinen has been a friend for many years, and I have always been anxious to see his VandenPlas bodied one finished. he probably has 5 or 6 of the 2l ones, plus several before 1914 restored.

Ivan Saxton

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all you "frosties" Sorry about the weather you are experiencing Not much fun in and open car! The Good news is that the dixie Flyer engine is all together and installed into the chassis. I hope to have some more photographs soon but work comes first. We are also somewhat distracted by planning for our next European trip on the Lagonda. It will have to be all serviced and ready for shipping to England by early/mid march. Sea voyage takes 6-8 weeks. Air travel for us is about 26 hour. Carine If you are reading this we will be in Arnhem on July 2 probably in Bonn a couple of days earlier. We would like to meet you if possible. There will be 12 Lagonda Rapiers and one Bugatti type 40 on our tour. Before then we will be at the Fougeres Rally, Chanteloup Hillclimb, Grand Prix de Tours(rally).

Cheers

Bernie J.

• 2 weeks later...

As they used to say way down in Dixie "Look away Look away!" but if you can stand the sight of naked engine bits take a peek!

Here as promised are a couple of new pics of the fully rebuilt original Herschell Spillman motor being fitted into the Dixie Flyer Chassis. Note new valves pistons etc. The safe in the background is for storing the bags of gold being poured into this project. Next the clutch and Gearbox!

post-51681-143138036908_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138036915_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138036922_thumb.jpg

Hello Bernie,

You are in fact making progress!!!! I see a firewall and what looks to be a painted chassis. Have you determined wheels, fenders and other items that are needed to build your car? Will this one have a steel tube body structure also? That aspect of your building process is of keen interest to me.

Regards, Alan

PS: YES.... it is still winter here on the other side!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Alan

Yes thing are happening. The ply bulkhead is purely a mock-up. The Chassis has been sand blasted and painted since before Christmas. Wheels are all rebuilt New 23 inch rims from New Zealand spoked unto Budd centres. The motor is virtually finished at what is to me a huge expense. Absolutely everything had to be reconditioned or replaced. The Gearbox is getting nearer. It is having a complete set of new gears cut. The rear axle and brakes are next in the line of fire.

Yes I do have a full set of rather rusty fenders, hood and scuttle if you look back you will see a photo of all this rusty sheet metal. The fenders are of quite a distinctive design. I am uncertain as to what to do about the body frame. Instinct tells me that it should be timber. Steel would be quicker and easier (for me).

What do all the experts think?

More Dixie Flyer progress!

Don't look yet but I have spent today setting up the rear springs and putting the rear axle assembly in place. I still have to get some new "U" bolts and sort out all the brake actuation bits but it is getting closer to being on four wheels than it has been for the last 50/60 years.

Work will definitely slow down during the coming week. We have 40+C forecast for the next four days.

More photos soon.

Bernie J

• 3 months later...

Hello again

It has been quite some time since I was last on this forum and now we are at the eve of our next tour in Europe. This time we will be traveling at least part of the time with two other Australian Lagonda Rapiers. attached is a photograph of the cars waiting to be packed into a 40ft container for the six week voyage to England.

Meanwhile I hope that all the AACA members have been following the Dixie Flyer in my magazine articles "Road To Louisville. Despite taking three months out for our holiday I believe that we are still on track for Louisville July 2010.

Some major progress has been made and the scene is set for non-stop work once we return in August

post-51681-143138069899_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138069902_thumb.jpg

Guest Dean_H.

Fine looking cars. And the Dixie chassis, it's almost too nice to cover with a body. All the hard work and those bags of gold seem worthwhile when looking at that beauty.

Have a safe trip.

• 4 months later...

Hello All the Dixie Flyer watchers

We have now been back from our European jaunt for a little over a month and work has started again on the Dixie Flyer. For those who have been following the story in the Antique Automobile it is all systems go again. The radiator has been repaired and is now fitted to the chassis. The clutch all sorted out and fitted to the flywheel. the gearbox is almost ready to go together again. Attached is a photo of the new gears prior to re-assembling the gearbox. :)

post-51681-143138112894_thumb.jpg

Guest Gary Hearn

As you know, the Dixie (along with the Crown and Hercules) were made by the Kentucky Wagon Works, which bought the patterns and rights to the Studebaker wagons in 1920. The company still exists today making trailers for the trucking industry. Perhaps they have some sort of archive that can help you. Below is a link to their website:

Kentucky Trailer | 1-888-598-7245

Hi Alan

Sorry, I am dragging my feet just a little with the body so nothing to show yet. Extended jetlag perhaps or just to many other things happening.....:) Re the gearbox Yes the Shafts are being replaced too After 50 years of lying around on a dirt floor they really were not much use for anything!

B

Hello Garry

Many thanks for the info. I have already been in touch with Kentucky Trailer. They seem to have even less info re the Dixie Flyers that I do. The Tway family, the current owners of the Co took over control in 1936. Having said that I seem to have lost my contact (e-mails returned undelivered) in an attempt to establish a new connection I have just posted a letter to the Company CEO & President.

The Company Website, "Contact Us", does not allow for enquiries from outside the USA.

Cheers

Bernie

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Hello again

i have just received in the mail a small but important addition to the collection of instruments for the Dixie Flyer. This wonderful "Roadster" 3 inch diam dashboard clock. It comes from New Jersey farmer William Righter. If you live down Hammonton way call into the Hearts Desire farm and tell William how delighted I am with my purchase. While you are there buy a dozen of his Brown Eggs or a box of his Raspberries I bet that they taste just delicious.

post-51681-143138116235_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello From Utah,

How did your visit to the Dr. office go? I surely hope good so you can get back after the Dixie Flyer. I have taken a break from the old cars to restore an old flat belt driven I-H burr mill, (feed grinder).

Let us know what's up.

Regards, Alan