Dixie Flyer "Firefly" speedster photographs.

Bernie,

I am enjoying your posts. As one survivor to another...cheers! Way to live. Your story got me thinking about getting my act together and making some progress on the 55 Tbird I've got sitting here. I would love to take it on a tour like you described.

All the best,

Frank

Enough of all that I still have a ton of work to be done before the car leaves bound for Louisville for June 30th. Work is progressing but all so s l o w l y.

So days I can't help wondering if/how I am going to meet this important deadline. The plan now is for Arron to finish the four fenders so Peter the Painter can at least be working on them. He can then go back to fitting the original cowl sheet metal to the frame. Meanwhile I have just yesterday delivered the first batch of small parts (head light rims etc) to the platers.

Bernie j

post-51681-143138167495_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Not a great deal to report........ I have just been out to Sleeping Classics where Aaron is working away to some good purpose on the four fenders. The plan is for him to finish these first then the painter can start in ernest on them. I have to keep on emphasizing that all this has to be finished and the car ready to ship by May 14.

It is still too early to have doubts but I can't help having some slightly nervous moments. The difference between the cost of sea freight and air freight really is prohibitive.

Meanwhile I am sitting here with my hands tied.

Wow! I have just had an e-mail from my shipping man who tells me that Air freight is only twice the cost of sea freight not the four times that I was expecting.

So who knows, I may just have gained a month........

Does anyone know what taxes are due on imported Antique cars into the States ?

Bernie J

Guest Backyardmechanic

I beleive if the car isn't for sale then there's no duty tax on it. As I understand you are shipping it for show not for sale. I may be wrong .

Vern From ROMAR DODGE BROTHERS PARTS

Thank you Vern

Unfortunately there is a very good chance that the car will be offered for sale while it is in the USA. It's rightful home is there not in Holland, Belgium or Germany where it seems that most of the rare and interesting cars sold in Australia end up. Last car (a 1928 Singer) I sold ended up with what was claimed to be the largest Petro-chemical Co in Eastern Europe!

If you are following my story in the Antique Automobile I have not made it any secret that the car will probably be offered for sale.

Bernie J.

Vern

My first and foremost concern is actually getting the Dixie Flyer to Louisville by June 30 in order to attend the AACA 75 Anniversary Celebrations. That is why I am batting my brains out in an endeavour to get it finished in time. Even if I miss the deadline for sea freight I am currently investigating the possibility of sending it Air freight.

Talking to a friend just yesterday he made the very true comment. The best way to turn one dollar into seventy cents is to restore a car and then sell it.

I have taken the Lagonda to England for the VSCC big birthdays five times without selling it. I have been a AACA Member for some years and enjoy the contacts and the friends that I have made. Find a copy of the October issue of the Antique Automobile and read my piece in that. I hope that it fully explains who I am and where I am coming from.

My big passion in life (outside my family) is finding and restoring BASKET CASES. Cars that no one in their right mind would dream of touching. Despite what some people imagine I am not a wealthy man and cannot keep every car that passes into my hands.

If I had not rescued the Dixie Flyer it would have gone to scrap metal four years ago. It has cost me thousands of dollars more that I can ever hope to get for it. but once finished I will need to move on to the next project.

Bernie J.

Hello again Vern

I believe that you are something of a Dodge man.

Would you even consider restoring either of these cars?

The first one now lives in Western Australia and is known as the "Le Mans" Dodge. It was rebuilt in the style of a 3 Litre Bentley and actually went slightly better than one. The other you probably have seen photographs of before it has become quite famous locally as the "Flying Four" It now lives in North

Queensland.

I rebuilt both and then sold them so as to be able to move on to the next project which eventually led me to the Dixie Flyer

Hope this helps in some small way.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138170579_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14313817058_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138170581_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138170582_thumb.jpg

Guest Backyardmechanic

Hey you do nice work. Yes I would do it as I'm on a 23 touring that has been cut into 3 different peices useing parts from 3 different cars also working on a 23 coupe that is in sad shape hopefully one will not be able to see where we have peice them togeather

Maybe i should start a thread on these projects .

vern.

Hello Vern

I am sure that lots of people would be most interested in your project. The more 1920s and pre-war cars the better.

Speaking of putting bits back together, here are a couple of shots of the Flying Four chassis. much of its success was due to its light weight. It has been clocked at 87.00 mph. It did have a fully balanced and "mildly" tuned "C" 5 main bearing motor even so it was an (almost) docile road car and what fun! Oh well, that is in the past so back to the Dixie Flyer.

Bernie J

post-51681-143138171003_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138171004_thumb.jpg

Bernie... I've imported a few cars from Europe by ocean. It always costs more than they tell you. Everybody who touches the paperwork gets a couple hundred dollars! You should not have to pay import duty, however, as your Dixie Flier was made in the USA.

You do need two documents (from the EPA & DOT) to import a car into the USA. In your case, they will prove your vehicle is over 25 years old so it does not have to conform to U.S. pollution and safety rules, and proving it was made in the USA. I suggest you have photocopies of factory info and photos of your car (including the serial number tag, engine number, etc. Here is a useful link: https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/prnt_adp.php?p_faqid=278&p_created=1043364937&p_sid=8mL16iFi

I generally handle my import clearances myself, and find the Customs officers generally easy to deal with, but if you are not a US citizen, you may want to engage a Customs Broker to clear the car for you. If I can be of any help. let me know!

Phil

Hello again Phil

Many thanks for your advice and suggestions. I am hoping that I may get some help in this area by the people at Kentucky Trailer the present day extension of the original 1860s Kentucky Wagon Mfg Company makers of the Dixie Flyer. Failing that I believe that my Australian Shipping agent has some very good contacts. One problem is that we will probably not arrive until after the car. At present I am having some discussions about flying the car as time is very much critical in getting it finished. But then the extra cost has to be considered. Sadly I am not sitting on a bottomless money pit. The more work that I have to farm out rather than doing it myself in an effort to speed thing things up the higher the costs go.

As I said earlier the best way to turn $1.00 into 70 cents is to restore a vintage car.

Bernie J

At last I have been able to obtain a February 28 completion date for all the body work from Aaron. The rear fenders are due to go to Peter the Painter during this current week. I will also take some other things such as the headlight shells that he can do while he has some black in is pot.

This brings me to decision time regarding the hood "portholes" these were originally simple "plant-ons" with no actual hole. Just the the sheet metal inside the nickel ring painted matt black. Just like the Classics of the 50s & 60s.

The question is do I follow my heart and cut out the "holes" and fit a matt black painted screen from the inside thus providing some extra ventilation or do I do as originally and once again paint the sheet metal inside the Nickel ring matt black.

In view of the increase in traffic since 1922, and if I am to drive the car, the extra ventilation may not go amiss but then this would be departing from the original?

Dixie Flyers never had louvers of any other ventilation in the sides of the hood.

There is a theory about the airflow being directed down and over the sides of the cylinder block and the sump to help cool the oil.

Any suggestions please?

Bernie J.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Hello Bernie,

The Dodge Brothers have soild hood sides from 1914-1923 1924 first louver hood. We have problems with the earlier cars without louvers vapor locking on real hot days 90 F. degrees up. so If it was me I'd cut holes and screen behind the port holes. for this reason.

Vern

Bernie... Why not have it both ways: make the vent holes removable and replaceable with screen inserts. That way, you can see if they are truly necessary. If they are, you won't have to risk your paint job. Plus, you've just told the judges the holes aren't original, and you'll lose points!

Phil

P.S. Congratulations on your AACA award. You deserve it for these great restoration reports.

Hi Vern/Phil

To give you a better idea of what the Portholes actually look like here is todays photo of the newly nickel plated trims in place on the bonnet (hood) side. I am still working on an idea for a compromise regarding the actual "holes" so more later.

I have also added one of the right hand rear mudguard (fender). The first of these are due to go to the painters on Wednesday.

Re the AACA Award many thanks for your good wishes. It came as a great surprise and makes me feel very humble.

Bernie J

post-51681-143138173281_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138173286_thumb.jpg

Hi again Vern

Thinking about your vapour locking problem with early Dodge Fours. Many of the people here find that they can overcome this by spacing the carburetor out from the side of the cylinder block by an inch or two. It is a simple matter of making up two flanges with a short piece of steel tube in the middle. We have some really hot days here too. Not being too worried about originality with my Dodge speedsters I have used an 1 3/4 inch SU carb on a similar spacer/adaptor to good effect. On the Flying Four I used a 2 inch SU.

My friend John Needham at Oldcar Gearboxes has an interesting conversion that converts the gears into constant mesh making down changes much easier and at the same time he lifts 1st and 2nd ratio which really transforms the gearbox into something that you can really use. Like a 40-50 mph second gear!

Bj.

Thanks Phil

While I don't intend to "show" the car in view of your comments re points I have decided not to cut out the "holes" but to leave the nickel rings purely as ornament as with the original Firefly speedster. At some time in the future a new owner may want to Show it. No one lives for ever.

Bernie

Hello Old car fan

I am sorry but you will just have to be patient. I am taking the four fenders and the head lamp shells to the painters this morning. Our plans for Louisville and moving forward but ever so slowly. You know the old saying "Slow and steady wins the race" .

Look forward to meeting you in Louisville.

Bernie j.

Oldcar.

Not a great deal to report. The four mudguards (fenders) are now with the painter and Aaron is working hard to get the rest of the body finished this week. Meanwhile I have not been slacking off. The dash board is now cut to shape and the holes for the minor instruments cut and those for the switches drilled. Last thing this afternoon I gave it the first coat of polish so should be dry enough to sand back and re-coat tomorrow. Our son steve is looking at the clock to see exactly what it needs for it to tick again and he is about to turn up a new (matching) rim for the tach/speedo. Hopefully some more photos soon as I find time.

Old Car, Because of your work we have decided to take our nearly done 1923 McLaughlin Buick, model 45, to the show; so we will see you there and see Firefly in person. I still have some trim work to in the driver's compartment; and the replacement of a cracked exhaust down tube. But the top is all done and installed, and the old girl does run great. Look forward to meeting you in Louisville in early July.

post-48480-143138176865_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138176868_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138176871_thumb.jpg

Hello John

The Buick looks a treat! I am not all that up on Buicks. I take it that as a Model 45 it is a 4 cylinder . By 1923 I imagine that they had made the cylinder head separate and had put the valve gear under a pressed metal cover. Is this correct? One of the cars on my wish list is a 1917/8 6 cylinder sport roadster with wire wheels. I was out bid on one at an auction about ten years ago. Pity is that I have never seen it again. It was delightful with all original paint and trim. I think that the only things that had been replaced were the tires.

Is your car on 23 or 24 inch wheels?

Look forward to meeting you

Bernie.

Bernie, here a couple of pics of the engine just after I got her running. Disregard the plastic filter and the blue tie wraps and a couple of modern bits. These were on just to attempt to make her operational. The engine was froze and it took a good six months of fussing to get it unstuck. The engine was in storage for 18 years in a shed, and condensation over the years rusted the rings to the bores on two cylinders. Did not take much, only a pencil lead line of light rust held her solid. Tried to pull one of the offending pistons down through the crank, but it was a no go. Soaking in Kroil oil for a month did the trick, tried everything else. She is free now and runs like a top.

1923 was the last year Buick used the solid block (no removable head). The valves are in individual cages at the top of the engine and each cage screws out. The 45 is a master series car and has the 6 cylinder engine. The tire size is 33x4.5.

post-48480-143138177323_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138177327_thumb.jpg

Hi john

As I said before the Buick looks great. Pity they covered up all that wonderful open valve gear. Perhaps I am showing my age but I really think that those late teens Buicks were something else.

Oh well back to the Dixie Flyer. Have the next load of panels to drop off at the painter stowed away in my next best thing to an Italian pickup, the 1986 Alfa Romeo 33 (Boxer) hatch.

I am still keeping ahead of the rust but only just.

The good thing is that in the last five years it has cost me almost nothing to run and apart from one punctured tire it has never let me down.

And it makes all the right exciting Italian noises!

Bernie j.

Hi Bernie,

Your Dixie Flyer story is a great read. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I saw your a photo of your snubber tool in the recent copy of Antique Automobile Magazine. Our Packard Twin Six will have Gabriel snubbers

I either need to borrow your tool, or, it looks simple enough to make if I had the pin diameter and spacing dimensions.

Can you help with that information?

Regards,

Bill Boudway

Hi All

Sorry that there has not been anything on this post for a little while. It is not that nothing is happening but on the contrary too much.

As pressure is building, every available minute is spent doing something. All those items being painted Black are due back early next week and then it is the turn of the body and hood ( bonnet) to receive their coat of Brewster Green. Meanwhile I am sorting out linkages and the spark advance & retard control rods. With the body off I will make time to freshen up the chassis paint.

Bernie J

Just to prove that something has been happening we took the opportunity to take this photograph this afternoon. Having fitted the dash I decided that it was time to do a trial assembly with the seat to check the driving position and relationship between the steering wheel and the seat along with the seat to pedal distances. With the fenders (mudguards) in the final stages of painting it will soon (next week) be time to remove the body and hood as it will be their turn for paint. The radiator surround will go to the platers at about the same time but I have to finish the windscreen frame first. Below is todays photo with grandson Otto assisting in trying the seat for size. I am pleased to say that he gave it his seal of approval.

Bernie j

post-51681-143138185281_thumb.jpg