motor rebuild on 1928 114 buick tourer

Guest Stephenmilner

Guest Stephenmilner

I have just found water getting into cylinder number 5. Time to freshen up the motor in the way of head restore and bottom end.

Am I going to find it hard getting parts such as rings and head gear for this model.

It is the smaller of the 6 cylinder motors. It is in the 114 tourer and does anyone know what the model of the motor is for shopping around for bits. Thanks guys on the tab washers, all sorted now with your help.

Cheers

Steve

G'day Steve,

Bits and pieces occasionally show up on our local ebay (there are still some NOS parts floating around) but by and large we've had to get most parts shipped from the U.S. A lot of the parts are stocked by http://bobsautomobilia.com/ but sometimes they won't have a particular model year (though the guys on here will often know how it can be adapted or what should be done instead). For instance they have the head gasket http://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/engine/headgasket-1924-28-master-or-std.-metal-cladstate-year-and-series.-hg-260.html (which is probably safer than the majority floating around with Asbestos in them). We have found that some of the repro parts aren't to the same quality as the originally. As far as I'm aware nothing was changed on the engines (or mechanicals) once they got to Holden

I'm not sure the year that they stopped calling the smaller engine cars standard sixes

Be sure what have caused the water leakage in no.5 cylinder,the head gasket ?,it dosen`t cost a furtune to have the head plane grinded before you put a new head gasket on the engine .

"egge.com" seems to be the one and only on internet that are made new pistons and rings.But I`m sure you can find NOS piston rings on in internet too.

1928 Wb 114,5"-207,09 cid-Bore 3 1/8" -stroke 4 1/2".

Leif in Sweden

Guest Stephenmilner

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Head off and gasket corroded.

Head at workshop now and all gaskets ordered from bobs. Re the rings, Egge wanted to know the depth of the rings.

I know the car takes 3 rings per cylinder and are 3 1/8 dia and 1/8 width but does anyone know how deep they go or what to say to order them. Also I only snapped one head bolt so need a replacement. Where could i source one of these.

Cheers

Steve

My 1925 Std 3" piston ring deep are 3.42mm ,and my 1927 Std 3 1/8" piston ring deep are 3.76mm.1926-1928 Std has the same bore 3 1/8".The UNC-UNF head bolts can be bought in an iron shop,just be sure to get enough hard ones.The head on the bolt will not be as "high"as the old ones but proberly stronger.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest Stephenmilner

Thanks Leif

Have found the rings but egge wants to know how many oil and compression rings per cylinder.

Do you know out of the 3 rings is it 1 oil and 2 compression or 2 oil and 1 compression .

Thanks again and nearly there.

cheers

steve