Luggage restoration

Rick Marsh

A little while ago I purchased a 1931 Chrysler sedan which has a rear mount trunk. Within the trunk are two suitcases from the period. They are in good condition and very light. The construction appears to be of some "paper product" and the exterior is a black grained surface. My plan is to clean the exterior with a diluted Simple Green (perhaps 10 to 1) and then apply some product that will "renew" the exterior which appears to be dry from age. A friend has suggested linseed oil.

Has anyone been down this road before? What is the suggested process?

Thanks,

Rick Marsh

If they are covered with black oilcloth some Pledge or furniture polish might brighten them up. For cleaning, get a Miracle Fibre cloth from the dollar store and dampen it with your diluted Simple Green and carefully wipe clean. I have used this method on old cars and furniture and it takes the dirt off without messing up the surface.

Thanks, I've been advised to use lemon Pledge on older upholstery by a number of upholstery shops. I guess these suitcases are covered with "oil cloth" and lemon Pledge would probably be the way to go.

Thanks again

I just saw a set of 3, and about all they were good for was to remove the hardware and buy more cardboard and build new ones.

I just saw Rick's during the Charlotte Meet West. I think his are in a lot better shape than that. They looked cool setting in the truck opened up.

Wayne