head gasket help

Guest uhav2

Guest uhav2
post-108052-143143032181_thumb.jpg I'm in the process of changing the head gasket And was wondering if Im missing a plug here? I am not near the car but don't remember this interconnecting with the water pump. Before I leave work should I be retracing my steps or is this supposed to like this?

post-108052-143143032176_thumb.jpg

Guest uhav2

It is not the sending unit. It is located right in between the water pump and the head. That's what I was thinking that there should be some kind of plug there?? There seems to be some kind of rubber grommet but there is still a 1/2 inch hole.

I'm thinking that where the hole is located, the only thing it could be for would be a thermostat bypass to the water pump. Perhaps either your pump or the head has been replaced and they don't match each other. A cutaway '35 through '46 engine view in a period Motors Repair Manual doesn't show a hole there. What does the pump look like there?

Did you take anything out of it? Did you take the head off? When you put the head on, is there an obvious connection to something on the water pump?

If the answer to all the above questions is "no" get a pipe plug and some teflon tape and fill the hole before you put the head on.

• 2 weeks later...