Targa Top Reatta

Cargirl

I have been reading a book about the history of the Buick Reatta. In the book they show photo's of a targa top Reatta prototype. To describe the car, it has a removable glass targa top just like the 1984-1996 (and more corvettes have) Corvette. You can remove it and still have the rear glass but experience the convertible feeling. My opinion, but if they would have brought the targa top Reatta to market n 1988 it might have been a game changer. If anyone has photo's of this beauty, please post them on this thread.

Guest my3buicks

A one piece targa similar to a Ferrari 308 would have been much nicer, lightweight and stored easily sitting upright behind the seats. The Corvette style units are heavy, bulky, and leak. I think a larger sunroof right off the bat would have been a better answer.

Olds door handles and wheels it seems to me. The wheels (or very similar) were later used on the Toronado. Those door handles were also used on many a Cadillac. I do think the Targa top was a neat idea, but stowage of the panel (in-car) was the problem as already mentioned.

Leaves me wondering how difficult (and technically feasible) custom chopping one with a Targa top would be. Likely would run into many of the same issues as the convertible did by compromising the unibody with removal of the roof sheet metal. Done right, it'd be really sharp IMO. The Ferrari 308, of course, was the car driven by Magnum, P.I. and probably did a lot to popularize Targa tops in the 80's.

KDirk

Ok, someone took a sawzall and made a Targa top Reatta. Not really what I had in mind, as it wasn't finished out properly but is an effective styling experiment. Of course, nothing surprises me after that technicolor disaster a while back.

Big problem with the Mike and Ike car is it appears there is no means of putting the top back on. It isn't pictured with a roof panel, or even a soft top. There is something balled up behind the seats. Really it's a fair weather car only. Wonder if it would pass inspection in most states?

KDirk

Guest Dan Ogle

The Reatta in my opinion was doomed from the start.When you take a vehicle designed as a sports car,and change it to a luxury sport coupe,with no options,and when I say options,I'am talking engine type,and trans type,and its just a 2 seater,your removing a large number of potential buyers.Very few old folks buy small cars.On top of that it was way over priced.You could get a convertible,but not until it had been on the market for 2 years.There are a number of items that could have been offered that would have made the car more appealing to all groups,and not just a small niche,also had it been rear wheel drive would have helped. But thats what happens when you let bean counters dictate what the public will get.( Didn't mean to get on my soap box )

There is a company called Drop Top Customs in Florida that customizes coupes and converts them to a convertible or targa top. I saw their work on a 1998 Corvette (fairway green in color, very striking car) and they did a spectacular job. Thanks for the photo Barney! The car looks great.

My remark about the sawzall was intended humorously, but was meant to point out the less than professional job that was done. Certainly with enough time and money spent, a proper targa conversion could be done.

I do agree the Reatta as ultimately produced and marketed was a clear miss. Powertrain was the biggest opportunity but for a transverse FWD platform, GM had very limited options at the time. They chose the best engine and tranny combo they had on the shelf for the application.

A more powerful engine (and/or RWD) would have helped, but they lacked a FWD transmission that could stand up to more power. Even a hardened 4T60 is still a bit under engineered for a big boost over the 165hp that the Reatta got. RWD was not so much in vogue in the 80's, but could have been done as demonstrated by the prototypes. Rear drive of course has since made a big comeback. A targa option at start of production would have helped make up for the lack of a drop top the first two years. Still probably not enough to save the car based on sales numbers.

Some people laugh when I make this comparison, but I think the story of the Reatta (not the car itself) is much like the DeLorean DMC12. It was developed under unusual circumstances, ended up not being what was originally intended when finally launched, was more costly than planned and suffered a prematured death in the market, albeit for somewhat different reasons.

Both cars missed the mark and paid the ultimate price. Many years (and improvements in design flaws) on, the DMC has a devout collector following, the Reatta has a small but strong group of dedicated enthusiasts while not yet a bonafide collectible car.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti

a 2-piece targa would solve the storage problem - either behind the seats strapped secure (like my '80 Corvette) or secured in the trunk (my '98 Corvette and 2 Firebirds in the "hatch" area).

plus, leaving part of the middle roof may help a bit with structural integrity.

the targa in Mr. Eaton's post looks cool.:cool:

any "mod" can be done with the know-how and/or loads of $$$.:)

Guest keith_l
This was an early prototype as noted by the mirrors, door handles, and wheels.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]293508[/ATTACH]

It actually makes a much better looking targa than it does a convertible.

Guest my3buicks

Glad we all have opinions LOL, the convertible got rid of the one quirky styling design in the Reatta, the leading edge/corner of the rear window glass where it meets the quarter

Guest my3buicks

As you can see by the picture they were obviously considered. Who knows what the reason was as discussed, probably came down to cost. Although you can have the convertible top down in half the time it takes to take two panels off and and

Stow them.

Targa tops are different from T-tops, which have a solid, non-removable bar running between the top of the windscreen and the rear roll-bar, and generally have two separate roof panels above the seats that fit between the window and central t-bar.

Targa top, targa for short, is a semi-convertible car body style with a removable roof section and a full width roll bar behind the seats. The term was first used on the 1966 Porsche 911 Targa,[1] and it remains a registered trademark of Porsche AG.[2]

The rear window is normally fixed, but on some targa models, it is removable or foldable, making it a convertible-type vehicle. Any piece of metal or trim which rises up from the side of a car and continues in an uninterrupted line over the roof and down the other side is sometimes called a targa band, targa bar or a wrapover band.

Not to be confused with T-top.

A T-top (UK: T-bar) is an automobile roof with a removable panel on each side of a rigid bar running from the center of one structural bar between pillars to the center of the next structural bar. The panels of a traditional T-top are usually made of auto grade safety glass. The T-top was patented by Gordon Buehrig on June 5, 1951.[1] It was used in the design of the unsuccessful TASCO sports car.[2]

Not to be confused with Targa top.

To which picture are you referring?

John F.

Glad we all have opinions LOL, the convertible got rid of the one quirky styling design in the Reatta, the leading edge/corner of the rear window glass where it meets the quarter

I agree with keith_l, all the "styling" is in the rear piller and rear glass. (keith_l is also me by the way, this forum is "quirky")

You know what? I think the issue of sunlight readability for the CRT is overstated. The VF digital displays suffer the same problem as I've noted in my own roadster with the top down, though admittedly the regular radio and climate head is easier to operate even when the displays can't be easily seen. One of these days I'll probably do a drop top with the CRT setup. For now I'm content to leave it be.

Getting back on topic (sort of) I've often heard owners of T-tops bemoan leaks at the seals and the inconvenience of removing and storing the panels. I imagine targa roofs suffer the same problems if not well designed.

KDirk