1933 wiring harness for dummies like me.....

PhatCat

I'm working with Rhode Island wiring and they have patterns for some Buicks 1932 series 60 and the 1933 series 80 and 90. But alas, I have a series 60 for 1933.

Do some of these crossover ? I know the schematics for the 60 80 and 90 series 1933 are the same so should I just stick with one of the 80 90 's for 1933 ?

Any opinions suggested, I just don't want to go to the trouble of tearing everything out and sending them the old one all marked if there is no reason to.

Heath

I'v made this suggestion several times in the past; Why not make your own? There are 3 harnesses in these cars. If you can use a soldering gun you can easily make your own. I do have info for 32 cars on wire sizes, length, and insulation colors and patterns. You can buy materials for 1/4th the cost of reproduction harnesses. Send me a pm with your email address if you want the info for 32 60 series. excel files don't attach to the forum photo files. I think you will find the 33 harnesses very close to the 32 wiring.

Bob Engle

Interesting info in the master parts book for 32 33 buicks. 1933 dash wiring assembly, p/n 1278285 fits 60, 80, 90 series left hand drive. 1933 headlamp wiring assembly, p/n 1276058 fits 50,60 series left hand drive. 1933 taillamp wiring assembly p/n 1276607 fits 60,80 series left hand drive.

Don't forget to consider any additional wiring you may want to run; front running lights? turn signals? electric fuel pump? increased wire sizes for higher wattage headlamps? etc.

Bob Engle

Guest outlaw car man

I rewired my 33 90 using Harnesses Unlimited, fit like a glove- They do list the 1933 60 series in their catalog- ( 2006 catalog ) . Good luck whichever way you go. I used Rhode Island on my 34 Ford. Both good companies.

Easy to do. PM me if you want .

OCM

Hi David: If you want to see something interesting, you should make the trip down to Mount Jackson VA and visit with John Brillman. Our car club had a fun run there several years ago. He takes modern PVC coated wires and weaves the cloth with the correct patterns. He varnishes and coats to original appearance. He sells all fittings and old fashion Asphalt coated wire loom. He will make harnesses to match your pattern, although his main business is harnesses for tractors. Prices are the best I have found from any supplier.

Bob Engle

Those machines are called braiders (spelling?). Originally they were used to make shoestrings. They are still common in the wire industry to braid shielded wire. At least that is the story I was told when I worked for a wire company that used them.

Watching them run is a kick. They go like heck and you'd think they just couldnt work.