89 Reatta, anyone remove the ABS system and use regular booster and master cylinder?

dadphelps

Posting for a friend, his 89 is having problems. He had already removed the huge abs system and has a vacuum booster and a master cylinder hanging there. He is wondering if anyone has done this and would know an efficient, proven method to plumb the new parts to the existing lines. The master has a 11x1.5 port and a 16x1.5 port. No idea what the existing lines are.

Anyone have suggestions to share?

Thanks,

Mike

Some people have made this change and you should be able to do a SEARCH to find all the details.

Few people here encourage the change. The Reatta Teves ABS system was a premium unit when built. Technology advanced and ABS systems changed. The Teves system is seldom the problem, it is usually lack of knowledge about them that causes a owner (or his mechanic) to change to another type of master cylinder/ABS

If going to make the change it is easiest to keep a single rear line and either use a three line M/C or a four line and plug one of the rears. 78 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 had a three line system and 4 wheel disks so can use that proportioning valve. Do not use a valve for a disk/drum combo.

Or can change to a 4 line system but that is a lot of work.

Any time a change is made to a braking system, it is best to have inspected/tweaked by a professional.

ps you will get both warning lights all of the time.

pps if you do make the change, harvest the ABS sensors and leads (is a connector just inside the wheel well), they are getting hard to find.

Guest crazytrain2

Mike,

Here's some pics of post swapped system, I DO NOT endorse this set up (compression fittings not recommended, also in this set up you lose one line you lose all brakes) but I thought it might be of some use. Note pic2 shows vacuum line connection.

post-57038-143142668312_thumb.jpg

post-57038-143142668309_thumb.jpg

Before I took the time to learn about the Teves ABS brake system I changed two Reattas to vacuum busted brakes. Big mistake! I changed my DD back to the Teves system after a panic stop in my convertible {with Teves ABS} that saved my butt. Reatta used this ABS system because it is [and was] the best.

Well there you go.

The only thing "wrong" with the system is the people who don't understand the system.

Like everything else, when you don't understand something, you fear it.

With proper maintenance, ie. flushing periodically, it seems the most common issues are a bad accumulator, failed relay, deteriorated insulation on the wheel speed sensors and or, a bad pressure switch. There are a couple of others but they don't come to mind right now. Otherwise, it is a very safe and reliable system. We should all keep in mind that these cars are approaching the quarter century mark. There are newer cars out there that are being recalled by the thousands if not millions for various safety defects. I'd rather go with a known quantity than be a beta tester for the multinationals pumping out testbeds to the masses. That concludes our sermon for today. Amen.

John F.

PS.,

Ronnie is in the process of putting together a tutorial on the common issues and their resolutions over at the ROJ site.

I think we should all support his efforts. If you have had issues that were resolved maybe you could send him a PM regarding it.

This would help (I think) in adding to the knowledge base for ABS failures.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

BTW Rules has it right. A while ago I had a marginal accumulator that failed during a hard stop, when the ABS turned off (yellow light) all four locked up and near slid through a red light. Only car I have now that doesn't have ABS is the Judge.

Thanks to all. It was too late to save the ABS when I originally posted, it was already removed. This is a guy I know, a good guy, when I found out about him changing he was at the auto parts store looking for brake line. I told him I would inquire here to get what info I could. But he has not contacted me again. I showed him some stuff he didn't know about lines and fittings etc. Offered my assistance, best I could do.

Again, Thank You to all. You posted enough information and showed me how you had done this swap. If I get the chance I could better assist him now.

Mike

• 4 months later...