1912 Metz

Guest mattgixxer1

Guest mattgixxer1

post-101454-143142580056_thumb.jpg

just purchased a 1912 metz and some other old fords. I am looking for some information on the metz such as modle, value, if i should leave it like it is or restore it. It is in desent shape but i have many questions

post-101454-143142580047_thumb.jpg

post-101454-143142580051_thumb.jpg

post-101454-143142580054_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattgixxer1 (see edit history)

I think it all depends on what your plans are for the car. Get it running and enjoy it as is. But it is an older restoration so you wouldn't be destroying any originality by restoring it. What are your plans for the Roadster Pick Up?

Guest mattgixxer1
I think it all depends on what your plans are for the car. Get it running and enjoy it as is. But it is an older restoration so you wouldn't be destroying any originality by restoring it. What are your plans for the Roadster Pick Up?

The Metz we are definaty going to sell probly just clean it get it running. The pickup might be for sale we might make a hot rod let me know if your interested

I can give you some more information on the Metz, however, it doesn't seem to match any one model.

A short history for Metz.

From 1909 to 1911 Metz produced a car with a 2 cylinder air cooled engine. The model of this car was called "Plan".

The 4 cylinder engines started in 1912 and ran through 1915. The model of this car was called "22" (as that was the horsepower of the engine).

In 1915 and through 1917, Metz made a similar 4 cylinder engine but it produced 25 horsepower and thus the model was "25". Later in 1916 Metz produced a 6 cylinder engine and that became the "Master 6".

From the above, we could say your Metz is most likely a Model 22. The Model 22 came in a few different body styles. In 1912 only the "Roadster" style was offered. In 1913 and "Roadster" and "Special" were offered. In 1914 a "Roadster" and "Speedster" were offered. The body style of your car is not any one of those, but rather a combination of the "Roadster" and "Speedster".

The hood and seat are in the "Roadster" style, while the main body (or lack thereof), gas tank and trunk area are typical of the "Speedster" style.

If you look on the engine block you should be able to find the engine number. If you reply with that I can tell you the year that the engine was made.

Guest mattgixxer1

hey Jeff thanks for the info where would the number be on the engine block the only thing i have saw so far is a brass plate on the front of the car. The plate just has a 1911 patten number on it

In 1914, Metz offered a "speedster" model (their name). It usually had wire wheels. Google "Metz crossing the Grand Canyon" and you should be able to see several original photos of one. In 1913, Metz offered what they called a "Special Roadster" if I recall correctly. It looked a lot like your car with wood wheels and was a dark red in color (again, if I recall correctly). (I don't have my Metz information handy) SOME resources indicate that Metz may have offered wire wheels as an option for several years of the four cylinder models, however, I do not know that for sure. Wire wheels were available for some years of the two cylinder "Plan" cars as well as the 1914 Speedster.

The Metz would be a nice car to have. I wish I could be interested in it.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Guest mattgixxer1

Hey Wayne

Thanks for the reply what would u think the value of the meta might be. Would you be interested in purchaseeing the car

• 1 month later...
Guest mattgixxer1

Hey Jeff

I finaly got a chance to do look for the serial number on that 1912 metz. The number on the block is 19975 i believe the last number could be an 8 also but think its a 5. Any info you could give me on the car would be appriciated.

Engine serial numbers in 1913 started at 18,302 and ended at 22,949 thus it would appear that your Metz has a 1913 engine. That may not mean the car itself is from 1913 (as they engine might have been changed) but it does mean the engine if from 1913.

Hope that helps.

The first Metz was "the Metz plan car". The Metz plan was to sell a car on the installment plan, the unusual part was, they supplied to car in installments.

You made the first payment and they sent you the frame, subsequent installments got you the axles, fenders, body, etc. You were supposed to assemble the car yourself as you got the parts. The last payment got you the magneto, the most expensive part on the car.

I don't know how many were sold this way. Or how long they did this, but I think it was only for a year or 2.